are supermarket greens good for tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
ive been wondering and reading that supermarket greens arent the best for tortoises. i always go to price chopper to get endive, escarole, and dandilion leaves for my sulcatas. i of course mix that with orchard grass and timothy hay but is it good to feed them supermarket greens on a regular basis? let me know what people think on this.:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The very best diet for tortoises is to be allowed to graze on natural growing plants and grasses. And what are grocery store greens but harvested plants.

We have this idea in our heads that tortoises are supposed to eat hay. I don't know why we got so hung up on that fact, but live, growing grass has many more nutrients in it than the dried grass product we refer to as "hay." I have never been to the desert, but I don't think a tortoise would be able to find any "hay" in his natural habitat. If he's out grazing during the summer and fall, when all the plants are brown and dead, then that's what he's going to eat...brown and dead plants. It might consist of dead grasses (hay), but probably more likely, dead plants.

When my tortoises can't go outside and graze because of the weather, I buy super market greens for them. I also buy packages of "Salad Style Hay" from carolinapetsupply.com and sprinkle a little pinch of that over the greens. You can tell if your tortoise is getting too much grocery store greens by his loose stools. To tighten them up, sprinkle more packaged hay over them.

I think what you are feeding your sulcatas is just fine...maybe add turnip greens, kale and mustard to the list also.

Yvonne

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah, my sulcatas seem to really enjoy it, when i put the dry orchard grass and timothy hay mixed in with there endive i always mist it so its not so dry and crunchy. my sulcatas have never been really introduced to much growing plants, but when they see dandilions and clover they enjoy that to the fullest. thanks for the information yvonne!

Status
Not open for further replies.