Are heat mats waterproof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
I figured instead of using a heat emitter over night, it be more cost efficient to use heat mat as a substrate heater. I keep red foots so my substract is always moist. To keep it moist, I pour cups and cups of water on top.

So I'm wondering if my the heat mat is waterproof.

brianfurtado

5 Year Member
I know that the peel and stick mats sold by Zilla and Exo-Terra are not. They are designed to be stuck under the glass on the outside of the tank but they get pretty hot and if water seeps to the bare glass, the glass will crack. If this is the kind of heater you are referring to, you can stick it to one side of the enclosure and then pour water or get a mister for the other side.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If you are talking about "pig blankets", no they are not. It says so on the package. They are sealed for urine and waste protection, but they aren't meant to be immersed for long periods of time and you aren't supposed to put anything over them, like any substrate. They make these as small as 18x18". If you built a little "dog house" sort of set up, you could use either a heat mat or a CHE or both, with no problem. This is what most of us do for outdoor housing. If you go this route, just make sure they can choose to be in their shelter AND off the heat mat. In other words make the shelter a little bigger than the heat mat.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
I believe that some of the heated pads they sell for starting seeds (germination heat mat) can stay pretty wet. Also, there are aquarium heaters that come in the form of pads and cables similar to those marketed for reptiles that you could try.

Status
Not open for further replies.