Are gopher tortoises omnivorous

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Mainly they're vegetarians, (I couldn't think of "herbivores" until David said it) however if they come across a carcass they may sample it. I've seen a Russian tortoise eat a lizard.

Last edited:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They are classified as herbivores. But they can be opportunistic feeders and eat whatever they can come across. But in captivity you want their diet to be herbivores.

Berkeley

They don't really eat carrion (or carcasses), but are known to eat the bones from skeletons that they come across. It is good wear for their beaks, as well as calcium.

--Berkeley

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
They don't really eat carrion (or carcasses), but are known to eat the bones from skeletons that they come across. It is good wear for their beaks, as well as calcium.

--Berkeley
Wow that's interesting about the bone. I've tried to provide calcium in a few different forms. but hes just not interested. The neighbors had a birthday party in the yard behind mine and one of the kids through a chicken bone over the wall into my yard which was quickly cleaned of the meat by ants. Maybe I should have left the bone for my tortoise. :rolleyes: