Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Most of us go to a great deal of time and expense to heat and humidify the air in our tortoise enclosureS. Seems to me that blowing all that warm humid air out would entirely defeat what you are trying to do.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:
Most of us go to a great deal of time and expense to heat and humidify the air in our tortoise enclosureS. Seems to me that blowing all that warm humid air out would entirely defeat what you are trying to do.

I am thinking the same thing, however interesting idea!

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
SoCal
well from my research I have learned that aquariums are not well ventilated and could cause respiratory problems due to the stale air.

I may have inferred that I would be using the fan constantly. however that is not the case. I would most likely turn it on to circulate the air for at least a few minutes every other day to ensure that there is fresh air.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
stasisdc5 said:
well from my research I have learned that aquariums are not well ventilated and could cause respiratory problems due to the stale air.

I may have inferred that I would be using the fan constantly. however that is not the case. I would most likely turn it on to circulate the air for at least a few minutes every other day to ensure that there is fresh air.

Yeah, that stale air bit does not seem to actually happen that much in most situations. Too air-tight of a top all the time is not so hot, but it does not take much to allow some chimneying of warm/moist air up and out, drawing fresh air in. The trick is to limit how much you lose.

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
SoCal
Madkins007 said:
Yeah, that stale air bit does not seem to actually happen that much in most situations. Too air-tight of a top all the time is not so hot, but it does not take much to allow some chimneying of warm/moist air up and out, drawing fresh air in. The trick is to limit how much you lose.

interesting. from what I've read they make it out like it's something serious but let's say from your personal experience, would you agree that keeping the top of a 55 gal aquarium open be sufficient enough?

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
SoCal
AustinASU said:
Id say if you have it enclosed you inside that would help

sorry but i'm having trouble understanding your comment.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
If you had it completely sitting inside the aquarium so that it's not blowing cool air in from in the room. OR what you can do is use a cumputer fan....works the same and is cheap

AustinASU said:
If you had it completely sitting inside the aquarium so that it's not blowing cool air in from in the room. OR what you can do is use a cumputer fan....works the same and is cheap
here's what i'd use....this ciculates the air....quietly and not at such a fast rate that you will lose heat rapidly.

http://www.marinedepot.com/CoralVue...ium_Lighting-CoralVue-CV1671-FILTACAF-vi.html

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
SoCal
AustinASU said:

AustinASU said:
here's what i'd use....this ciculates the air....quietly and not at such a fast rate that you will lose heat rapidly.

http://www.marinedepot.com/CoralVue...ium_Lighting-CoralVue-CV1671-FILTACAF-vi.html

ahh I see... oh I've seen those. I only opted on using the Zoo Med fan due to it being aesthetically pleasing but if that's the case, then here's some great DIY instructions that I've found.

http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/beatthesummerheat/diyfans.shtml

adding a dimmer switch would probably make it better. I do like the fact that the one in your link is controlled by a thermostat. great find.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is all sorts of misinformation out there on the web. There is absolutely nothing wrong with aquariums. I, and many others, have been using them for tortoises for literally decades. I actually have been moving away from them lately because they allow TOO MUCH air circulation. In the past I tried to cover as much of the top as I could to hold in heat and humidity, but because of the "chimney" effect that Mark spoke of, I couldn't contain my good air. Now I've switched to closed chambers with almost no ventilation and maintaining near perfect conditions is MUCH easier and costs me a fraction of the electricity too.

I don't recall, but did you mention previously what species and what age tortoise we are talking about here? This might make a difference. So far, I've only been speaking in general terms. Also, where are you? Advice might differ for someone in Vegas vs. New orleans...

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
SoCal
Tom said:
There is all sorts of misinformation out there on the web. There is absolutely nothing wrong with aquariums. I, and many others, have been using them for tortoises for literally decades. I actually have been moving away from them lately because they allow TOO MUCH air circulation. In the past I tried to cover as much of the top as I could to hold in heat and humidity, but because of the "chimney" effect that Mark spoke of, I couldn't contain my good air. Now I've switched to closed chambers with almost no ventilation and maintaining near perfect conditions is MUCH easier and costs me a fraction of the electricity too.

I don't recall, but did you mention previously what species and what age tortoise we are talking about here? This might make a difference. So far, I've only been speaking in general terms. Also, where are you? Advice might differ for someone in Vegas vs. New orleans...

I didn't. I have 2 yearling hermann's. I live in southern California. specifically orange county.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well I'm jealous of your tortoises and your location. You should have no trouble there. Great climate for hermanni.

There are lots of differing opinions on how to raise them, but I'd rather let someone more experienced with that species give you specifics.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
stasisdc5 said:
Madkins007 said:

interesting. from what I've read they make it out like it's something serious but let's say from your personal experience, would you agree that keeping the top of a 55 gal aquarium open be sufficient enough?

There are some really interesting socio-psychological reasons that some things get a really bad rap. In tortoise keeping, it is things like aquariums, spinach, and so forth.

I think it is really weird that some of the same people who bash fish tanks use plastic tubs- which have the same air movement issues unless you drill holes, and few recommend that.

Open or closed top- this depends entirely on your situation. In the cool, dry indoor climate in Omaha with red-footed tortoises, I got the best results from an almost complete cover.

stasisdc5

5 Year Member
SoCal
Madkins007 said:
stasisdc5 said:
Madkins007 said:

There are some really interesting socio-psychological reasons that some things get a really bad rap. In tortoise keeping, it is things like aquariums, spinach, and so forth.

I think it is really weird that some of the same people who bash fish tanks use plastic tubs- which have the same air movement issues unless you drill holes, and few recommend that.

Open or closed top- this depends entirely on your situation. In the cool, dry indoor climate in Omaha with red-footed tortoises, I got the best results from an almost complete cover.

you know i've thought about that. with the same dimensions, why would the plastic tubs be exempt? i just chalked it up to plastic vs glass but i guess there is no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.