Anything else I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mass
Here's what he has at the moment, he's living in a 54 gallon rubbermaid tub. If you can't tell, the blue thing is his water bowl, the thing next to it is a flat rock the he eats off of. The white thing is cuttle bone, the green thing in the corner is his fake cactus, and lastly the bulb is a 100W Powersun MVB bulb. The things I'm buying for Chanukkah new light fixtures and a temp gun :) And I think he likes the heat because his favorite spot is where he's sitting in the picture he sleeps there and usually hangs out with one foot in his water bowl, thats why I have to change his water a lot so he can have clean waterrr :p Anything else I should add? I don't have any money at the moment except for what I'm getting him for Channukah. I spent all my Chanukkah/Christmas/birthday money on my new baby <3

1215101558d.jpg

Thanks!

moswen

5 Year Member
oh man, i totally understand, babysitting i only make $90 a week and i made a deal with my husband that i'd buy groceries with it and still have enough to spend only my money on the tortoises... sometimes, i buy groceries with the debit card. oops! ;)

i think it looks great, do you have sphagnum moss stuffed in his hide? and my tortoises love it when i grow mustard and turnip greens, and pumpkin sprouts, in a small container in their enclosure. the second those things bud they're gone, it only takes about 3 days to have them grow, nice source of fresh tender food. i use the tops and bottoms of raspberry containers to grow them in, they're shallow and they already have drainage holes in them!

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
I can't even find a job it suuuucckkkkssss :mad: I'll get him some sphagnum moss and I hope to get him some plants soon :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
abra said:
Here's what he has at the moment, he's living in a 54 gallon rubbermaid tub. If you can't tell, the blue thing is his water bowl, the thing next to it is a flat rock the he eats off of. The white thing is cuttle bone, the green thing in the corner is his fake cactus, and lastly the bulb is a 100W Powersun MVB bulb. The things I'm buying for Chanukkah new light fixtures and a temp gun :) And I think he likes the heat because his favorite spot is where he's sitting in the picture he sleeps there and usually hangs out with one foot in his water bowl, thats why I have to change his water a lot so he can have clean waterrr :p Anything else I should add? I don't have any money at the moment except for what I'm getting him for Channukah. I spent all my Chanukkah/Christmas/birthday money on my new baby <3

Thanks!

That's a nice start! You are already planning for live plants, which would make a big difference. You may want to look at another hide- maybe a 'moist root shelter' version, or a loose pile of bark he can climb on or hide under.

The more interesting the home is to him, the happier he will be overall and the more brain development occurs.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The cactus is pretty useless...I'd get some live or fake (Michael's has great plastic plants with broad leaves you can get for 40-50% off with their coupons) plants for hides. I like a warm, medium, and cooler hide. The logs can be dangerous as torts climb them and fall, and take up a lot of floor space. You might be better with a box or container type hide with vertical walls, hay or moss piles, or plants. You can make hides for free from boxes or containers, or maybe you have some timothy hay, or can find a few bucks for fake plants (I'd say they are $5-10 without a coupon, so if you print one from online or cut it from the newspaper, that helps). I would try to get a fund saved up so you can get replacement supplies/enclosures and if a vet emergency pops up, you'll be ready. Is the light over the food & water? If so, you probably want to move one or the other to create a nice basking spot. The light in the middle might make a nice gradient (depending on your room temps & enclosure size, keeping it on one side might make the other side too cold, or putting it in the middle might not give you a cooler spot)...something to check with the temp gun (hopefully you at least have some type of thermometer in the meantime?), moving the food (and water) to the corner to help prevent tracking. If he can't get under the basking spot he will try to get as close as he can. My tort likes to spend most of his day in the 80s and only a bit in the 70s or 90s. Having a hide next to the basking spot will encourage that basking activity too. Does the tort get some outdoor time? The more space you give them the more they will thrive. Good job on the enclosure and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.