Anyone written out actual plans for Tom's 4x4x2' Tortoise boxes?

weedonphoto

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas, Texas
Hi Gang. I'm new on here and have been corresponding with Tom privately a bit about his 4x4x2' enclosures. We are looking to build one to have available longterm for our Sulcata tortoise whose currently only about 8" long. I know there are many ways to do it and many great options. Tom just mentioned that someone on the forum had put together actual plans to go along with his amazingly helpful pictures and descriptions. Without the luxury to build multiple boxes over time for multiple tortoises I would love to get it as close to right the first time around. We are in the Dallas area.

Thank so much for any input!

Matt

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hey Matt. I know of few threads posted that show pretty detailed step by step. Me being in construction it comes very for me to just incision it and do it. But I'm sure it could be more difficult to figure out for others.

weedonphoto

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
If you could point me to a couple thread links with plans it would be so helpful. I'm reasonably handy, but it's not what I do all the time, so I'd love to know that for example I'm to be cutting 2x4's to 47" and pieces of plywood to 48 x 46" and so on.

Thanks so much!

Matt

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well for studs your going to want to cut them 43.5" because your bottom plate and double top plate will give you a clean 48". The double top plate will also secure each corner together. Like a jigsaw puzzle. Like looking at it from the front, the left and right walls will have the top plate extend 3.5" further beyond the last stud of that wall so it overlaps the first bottom plate on the front and back wall. If that makes sense, kinda hard to do it written form really.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
My tortoise draws better Kelly!

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
The beauty of toms design is that it is basic and simple. Don't over think it and it's okay if it come out to be a few inches smaller or bigger, or whatever. I built mine 4'x6'x3'. If you know how to use a saw and hammer you should be fine.

Do a search on here for night box, and another night box. You will see where people have done step by step picture tutorials on what they did and a few even tell you how many sheets of plywood and studs to get.

I have yet to see a set of actual plans

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I'll CAD draw one. Any preference on color? Hahaha

Brown and green to be tortoise friendly. 3D would be preferred

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)