anyone keep pancake torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ct.usa
hi name is lindy , looking for people who keep pancake tortoises. i live in connecticut. and no one that i can find keeps them. they are strange little rigs and since i have own them for over 1 year very healthy. now they are having eggs 2 so far- 2 weeks apart. have incubatoe but what if some hatch? no alot of infor other internet. reailly would like to find pancake people! lol.well, i i did this right i the new kid on the block and not grat on computer. thanks lot. lindy:shy:

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We keep them and have been very successful. We have eggs incubating as well.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Tim/Robin said:
We keep them and have been very successful. We have eggs incubating as well.

hi tim/robin, its nice to me you and finally some one who has pancakes.ihave a pair male/female have had them over a year. now my female had an egg on jan. 23. and anothr 2 weeks to the day. the 2nd egg was broke. so i have the first egg in zoomed incubator. people think i am strange when i tell them about these torts. can i expect an egg every 2 weeks ,till there are 4-5? what if it hatches? my vet. said they are unperdictable. any infor. would be great. thanks lindy from ct.:p

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Ours have never laid 2 weeks apart. Our females usually lay about 8 weeks apart. Ours have clutched 2-4 times a year. Make sure you are giving your female calcium every day or two on her food. Incubation takes up to 180 days, so be patient. If it hatches, you have a baby pancake! :)

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Tim/Robin said:
Ours have never laid 2 weeks apart. Our females usually lay about 8 weeks apart. Ours have clutched 2-4 times a year. Make sure you are giving your female calcium every day or two on her food. Incubation takes up to 180 days, so be patient. If it hatches, you have a baby pancake! :)

hi again, thanks for infor. i have been giving vita. & cal. in their food. vet said they are healhly and happy. wonder why she had egg 2 weeks apart. can you tell me how long it takes before i can tell if egg i have is good? and how do you know when she is done having eggs?male seems to be staying away from her since she had an egg. is that normal? hope i am not bugging you. thanks again lindy

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I wish I could tell you how long until you know if it is fertile, but I can't. Pancakes diapause for some amount of time before developing. I have had some as little as 2 weeks and others for over 3 months. There is no single answer. The only way you will know she is done is when you don't get any more eggs. Again, no single simple answer.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
thanks tim/robin, thank you again, but one last question please. if she was egg bound would that cause her to have eggs 2 weeks apart? lindy from ct.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I don't think so. It is likely that she had sufficient calcium stores to calicify the second egg in that little time. I have had a Greek tortoise lay 3 eggs, then 2 weeks and 6 days later lay 4 more. Then 2 weeks and 4 days later she laid 3 more. If they have an abundance of food and calcium they can do amazing things. If she were egg bound you would have a sick tortoise. Does she appear sick? Is she eating?

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
Hi guys, I too have a Panckae tort, I only have a male, I have had him a year, How big is your male Pancake? wondering if mine is big enough to breed, seems to be full grown
pancake.jpg

here is a pick i took tonight with him sitting under the mister eating....
I would like to get a female soon...

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
NEtorts said:
Hi guys, I too have a Panckae tort, I only have a male, I have had him a year, How big is your male Pancake? wondering if mine is big enough to breed, seems to be full grown
pancake.jpg

hi , name is lindy in ct. i too have pancakes male & female . female is having eggs! your male looks like mine. i belive my male is an older guy. female a few years old.are they not cute little things! my male is smaller than the female. you should get him a friend. well talk to you later. lindy:)

Tim/Robin said:
I don't think so. It is likely that she had sufficient calcium stores to calicify the second egg in that little time. I have had a Greek tortoise lay 3 eggs, then 2 weeks and 6 days later lay 4 more. Then 2 weeks and 4 days later she laid 3 more. If they have an abundance of food and calcium they can do amazing things. If she were egg bound you would have a sick tortoise. Does she appear sick? Is she eating?

she eats so much vet. had me cut down amount. shes a piggy.sleeps alittle more then normal. but thats it. lindy

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
NEtorts said:
pancake.jpg

HI AGAIN, I THINK PANCAKE MALES START MATING AT 4-5 YEARS OF AGE. I KNOW MALE MALE FULL GROWN WHEN I GOT HIM.LINDY

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i have a friend in Pasadena, California that keeps, and breeds them, and is also quite successful. Let me know if you want me to pass on any questions you might have.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
spikethebest said:
i have a friend in Pasadena, California that keeps, and breeds them, and is also quite successful. Let me know if you want me to pass on any questions you might have.
thank you. i am new to this.my name is lindy from ct.i may take you up on the offer! lindy

Status
Not open for further replies.