Anyone else fed up of the snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I love where I live but it's one of the most taxed, expensive states to live in the nation. I can live without the snow. Just can't go anywhere until after I retire. Twelve more years of shoveling snow and melting ice!

Just so you know, I'm jealous of all of you wearing shorts in the sun right now.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Yes, it really was -8 yesterday. I managed to getmy car to the zoo, and the penguins were literally skating on their pond :) only the tigers seemed to be liking the weather!

It's still snowing here now. Worst floods in 1,000 years, worst snow in 30 years (as in continuous, not depth) and it's only January 5th! And Californians eat your heart out, we had an earthquake in 2007, the Epicentre was in leicster, and i was at uni in Nottingham at the time, it woke me up and smashedmy favourite cup! We are lucky to see anywhere near 30 at any time in the year. Actually, can someone remind me why i live in the lake district?! :p

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Stephanie Logan said:
It's true, California has an awesome climate. When my husband was growing up in Garden Grove in the 60's, it was quite the happening place--beaches, surfing, hip culture, endless summer. When we had to decide between California and Colorado for where to live and raise our kids, though, it was actually Fred who pushed for Colorado. In the 90's, it was growing but not overpopulated. The traffic actually moves on our freeways. California friends and relatives have struggled a lot more to keep up with the cost of living, especially home prices for anyone wanting to live within a one-hour commute to work. California is still very trendy, which can be fun for young adults, but can result in a lot of peer pressure to be/have/look like that latest fashion. I think drug abuse rates are higher in California--my husband's brother sadly died from an overdose in 1993. I also think the Hollywood Glamor of L.A. is overrated, and has attracted a lot of self-absorbed "actors" to the state.

This is not to say the whole state is like this, or every family. But there were eight kids in Fred's family, so lots of cousins, nieces and nephews, plus tons of former friends and acquaintances, and the overall impression of long-term California living is that (all of) the costs are high.;)

So there's only a part of me that would trade our cold winters for California Dreaming.:p

rent with a commute of less than 30 minutes = $0
tortoise friendly weather 50 weeks out of the year = $0
number of drug users in my family = 0
number of people trying to make it in hollywood in my family = 0
number of foreclosed homes in my family = 0
number of illegal immigrants in my family = 0
student at one of the cheapest university systems in the nation @ $3,000 per year
job market like no other for educated people (your screwed if you just have a high school diploma)
short drive to either an ocean beach, lake, mountains, forest, snow, theme park, sports stadiums, hollywood, military bases....and the list go on and on...

loving every minute that california (southern, not northern), is the best place in this world to live----- PRICELESS!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Aww...come on guys...I wouldn't trade my city life. I love the change of seasons. I love looking forward to Spring...Summer...and then a white Christmas. Jump on the ferry...shop in Manhattan...see the "Big Tree" ...go to plays...best restaurants....Ahhhhh....the best of both worlds for me. My little Island is like ....well almost...country.....but so close to the city. It's 20 degrees here today...they said more snow coming...lots of big hills to go sleigh riding...then home for some hot cocoa. Thank God I have 5 boys to shovel though.:D
017-11.jpg

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
spikethebest said:
rent with a commute of less than 30 minutes = $0
tortoise friendly weather 50 weeks out of the year = $0
number of drug users in my family = 0
number of people trying to make it in hollywood in my family = 0
number of foreclosed homes in my family = 0
number of illegal immigrants in my family = 0
student at one of the cheapest university systems in the nation @ $3,000 per year
job market like no other for educated people (your screwed if you just have a high school diploma)
short drive to either an ocean beach, lake, mountains, forest, snow, theme park, sports stadiums, hollywood, military bases....and the list go on and on...

loving every minute that california (southern, not northern), is the best place in this world to live----- PRICELESS!

That's all great! Like I said, it's not all bad.;)

Talk to me when you have another 30 years of experience there, though...:p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
In january and the state I live in I have to wear shorts during the day, it is ok in my book. P.S. I hate the cold.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
We usually have a couple annoying storms a season, mostly marked by bad cold snaps- but this year has been a doozy. Storm after Thanksgiving of over a foot, another on Christmas of almost 2 feet, scattered storms of 2-4 inches and another tonight of 3-6" possible, and only a few days over 25F in the last month or so.

Yes, I am tired of it.

I

Italianlnm

We haven't gotten any snow yet this year.. It is supposed to snow tonight though. But it only snows once every few years here, and it almost NEVER sticks..

So.., I am looking very forward to the snow. I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.