Any opinions on sexing these Jr. ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Here are a couple of shots of two Jr. Leps. I know they are young still young, but would like some input on sexing and your opinions are apprecitated. The largest is about 6.5" and the smaller of the two ... is about 6"
Thanks for your input!
sex-b.jpg
sex-a.jpg

Happy Torting!
JD~
torts"
@Sally2

Michael Wolfe

5 Year Member
I guess both female... Bing is over eight inches now, but even even before, he had a much longer and more tapered tail... so my guess is "we got sister here".

Quick question on a seperate topic that I am interested in... how old are these two 6 inchers and how long have you had them?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Michael Wolfe said:
I guess both female... Bing is over eight inches now, but even even before, he had a much longer and more tapered tail... so my guess is "we got sister here".

Quick question on a seperate topic that I am interested in... how old are these two 6 inchers and how long have you had them?

Ive had them for about a year now. The first owner ('s) didnt do such a good job with their diet , which has resulted in some pyramiding.(although dont all leopards look pyramided? Ive yet to see a smooth lep! ) But both wonderful colored specimens’.I would, to the best of my knowledge put these around 4 years old at least. What do you think?
I also sorta figured both gals ...but both rear scutes look different?
jrLep.jpg
JuvLepPair5-09.jpg

might be up for offers/Trades soon!
Thanks for your input:)
JD~
the tort's
@Sally2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Look like girly girls to me.

By the way, even thought the debate is ongoing, I think it is safe to say that pyramiding has less to do with diet and more to do with lack of humidity during early growth.

Yes, most U.S. captive leopards are pyramided, but the humidity thing only started to become well known in 2007. Its still not all that well known, especially in the pet shops. I saw several dozen leopards in South Africa and I didn't even recognize the species until I did some research. They were all completely smooth. Check this out from Richard Fife's website.

http://www.ivorytortoise.com/information/documents/pyramiding_in_tortoises.html

I did a google search and found some that look like the ones I saw in the RSA, but I don't think I'm allowed to post them, due to copyright laws. It looks like a totally different species than what we are all used to seeing here.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Roachman26 said:
Look like girly girls to me.

By the way, even thought the debate is ongoing, I think it is safe to say that pyramiding has less to do with diet and more to do with lack of humidity during early growth.

Yes, most U.S. captive leopards are pyramided, but the humidity thing only started to become well known in 2007. Its still not all that well known, especially in the pet shops. I saw several dozen leopards in South Africa and I didn't even recognize the species until I did some research. They were all completely smooth. Check this out from Richard Fife's website.

http://www.ivorytortoise.com/information/documents/pyramiding_in_tortoises.html

I did a google search and found some that look like the ones I saw in the RSA, but I don't think I'm allowed to post them, due to copyright laws. It looks like a totally different species than what we are all used to seeing here.

We kinda changed direction on this post Roach - But YEAH!.. Jon Coote(sp?) of T-rex in the Sept. '06 Reptiles magazine mentioned how this has been slow to accept by "most" thru-out the herp community. There's not a hatchling/yearling out there that doesn't seek out a 'humid' hide somewhere/somehow!

Those leos look like females to me Jeff...

Terry K

BTW.. look at these 4" stars -

1TSAPair.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Don't know stars very well, but those are beautiful pics. Stars normally pyramid a lot, don't they? Those are the smoothest I can ever recall seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.