Any ideas on how to get rid of mushrooms in tortoise habitat?!

Cali~jenn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
First, I want to say how excited that my babies survived their first year hibernating! I was so anxious over winter that I took them out and soaked them a few times during hibernation. Thankfully all went well and since it is warm during the days i put them back in their habitat. At night I have been putting them back in their little box to sleep inside until it warms a bit more. This morning I went to put them in their enclosure and there were mushrooms growing a little bit everywhere! I picked them all but am worried this is going to be tough to keep up on. Is there something I can use to kill them without hurting the weeds etc that r growing and the tortoises of course.

EdMurphy

Minnesota
The mushroom you pick is only the fruit that spreads the seed, the heart of the mushroom is growing below the surface.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow, I thought it was not OK to disturb a hibernating animal but of course I live in the tropics and don't know much from hibernation!!! Someone else could perhaps help with any questions about that, but I am glad they seem to be OK! What kind are they?
Some mushrooms are good for them to eat, you need to post a pic of the mushrooms for the experts here to identify them.
No chemicals, please!
All the best.

Cali~jenn

5 Year Member
Southern California
Wow, I thought it was not OK to disturb a hibernating animal but of course I live in the tropics and don't know much from hibernation!!! Someone else could perhaps help with any questions about that, but I am glad they seem to be OK! What kind are they?
Some mushrooms are good for them to eat, you need to post a pic of the mushrooms for the experts here to identify them.
No chemicals, please!
All the best.

I would never use chemicals, thats why I posted here hoping for a healthy solution. I have used vinegar on weeds around the house, dunno if it would work on a mushroom and also dunno if it is ok or not ok for my torts. Hoping to find something good for their habitat that will eliminate the mushrooms. As for a picture, thats a good idea. Although there seems to be a few different types.
My tortoises are California Desert tortoises, they will be 4 this year. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I pick them out by hand and try to remove as much of the underground portion as I can.

Mushrooms can be very difficult to ID and there are many look-a-likes. Even mycologist have a tough time with some of them. Best to get rid of all of them.

EdMurphy

Minnesota
I would try just disturbing the soil where they are growing and see if that helps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would try just disturbing the soil where they are growing and see if that helps.

I use a little hand shovel and dig out under where they popped up for this purpose. Then I sort of stab the shovel into the dirt to break it all up and get some fresh air and sunlight in there.

Cali~jenn

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks for all your help. I will just continue to check the enclosure daily and dig them up then. I just removed all the plants that were in there since they were winter veggies and on their last legs. I think that helped quite a bit since the ground gets more sunlit and is much more visible. (Until the new plants grow in and overcrowd it all) :)