Any clue on locality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
Well, since I'm terrible at figuring at locality, I thought I'd see if anyone else could.

Heres the first girl. I forgot to get a picture of her plastron, but its a very light/pale yellow. I don't even have a remote clue on her locality, because I've never seen another red foot as light yellow as she is.

Image.jpg

Image 1.jpg

Image 2.jpg

Heres the second girl. I think she may be a bolivian giant/ripunini? She is about 15 inches and still growing. Her shell is much higher domed then the rest of my red foots, and she is about twice the weight.

Image 3.jpg

Image 4.jpg

Image 5.jpg

If it helps at all, this is what they're babies look like.

A usual hatchling from the first female.

Image 18.jpg

And a usual hatchling from the second.

Image 11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I do not closely follow the localities, but that is a decent amount of size on that second (WC) female. Nice animal.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Baoh said:
I do not closely follow the localities, but that is a decent amount of size on that second (WC) female. Nice animal.

I assume you put the "WC" in there to underlying accuse me of being hypocritical due to my recent posts in the debate section...?(Take no offense if I'm wrong.)

To make it clear, I didn't buy this girl. Want to know how I got her? I was driving down the road one day and she walked into the street. Beautiful red foot walks into the road in front of a guy who loves red foots....Was rather odd. I could never find her owner. I left a number at the house I found her in front of...Wasn't theirs. They told me they put her in the canal because they thought she was a turtle! That one gave me quite a laugh.... She is a very smooth red foot, and does look slightly wild caught, but she is ridiculously tame. I've always worried about her being somebody's pet, because if she was, she was a very loved pet, who received excellent care. From the day I got her she was eating out of my hand...So if she was WC I believe it to be a while ago. I think she may have been farm raised however, because there is very slight pyramiding thats hard to see in the picture, which seems to be characteristic of farm raised torts...

She is a big, pretty girl :).

Now...anyone got a clue on locality :)?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
RedfootsRule said:
Baoh said:

I assume you put the "WC" in there to underlying accuse me of being hypocritical due to my recent posts in the debate section...?(Take no offense if I'm wrong.)

To make it clear, I didn't buy this girl. Want to know how I got her? I was driving down the road one day and she walked into the street. Beautiful red foot walks into the road in front of a guy who loves red foots....Was rather odd. I could never find her owner. I left a number at the house I found her in front of...Wasn't theirs. They told me they put her in the canal because they thought she was a turtle! That one gave me quite a laugh.... She is a very smooth red foot, and does look slightly wild caught, but she is ridiculously tame. I've always worried about her being somebody's pet, because if she was, she was a very loved pet, who received excellent care. From the day I got her she was eating out of my hand...So if she was WC I believe it to be a while ago. I think she may have been farm raised however, because there is very slight pyramiding thats hard to see in the picture, which seems to be characteristic of farm raised torts...

She is a big, pretty girl :).

Now...anyone got a clue on locality :)?

I have no interest in your motivations or whether or not anyone sees any aspect of her origins as hypocritical. Those matters are irrelevant to me. She is a nice-looking WC ("farmed" if giving it that label makes you feel comfortable for whatever reason) animal that has a very nice amount of size on her, so I gave her/you the compliment regarding her dimensions as a result.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Thank you.

Something I've always found odd about her...On her front vertebral scute, you will notice it drops off sharply towards her head, which also slightly is shown on her front right and left coastals...I always assumed it to be some sort of abnormality, until I noticed other torts that looked the same. (I had never really payed attention to that feature on other torts before her.) I think this must give some clue as to her locality, as it carries over to all of her babies. They all have the same drop-off on the first vertebral scute, though its a little less pronounced in the babies. It looks like a pinch in the front three scutes. None of my other red foots have this.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I am certainly not an expert in localities, but they seem to be within the normal variation we see for the "Guyanan group"- Venezuela to the east along the northern countries of South America.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
RedfootsRule said:
Thank you.

Something I've always found odd about her...On her front vertebral scute, you will notice it drops off sharply towards her head, which also slightly is shown on her front right and left coastals...I always assumed it to be some sort of abnormality, until I noticed other torts that looked the same. (I had never really payed attention to that feature on other torts before her.) I think this must give some clue as to her locality, as it carries over to all of her babies. They all have the same drop-off on the first vertebral scute, though its a little less pronounced in the babies. It looks like a pinch in the front three scutes. None of my other red foots have this.

RedfootsRule said:
Thank you.

One of my Carl May cherries "Carlos" has that. I also noticed a slight resemblance to his father "Moe" from Cdmay posts.
222c78df521a8ebc63a2644aeda96fd2_zps60565206.jpg

9e691107c48bb83a33548e61e393e2eb_zps9804236b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.