Antibiotics?

Avuwyy

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool, Merseyside
I’m sorting out a document to refer to if I ever need to take my tortoise to the vet, so I’m aware of toxic medicines, and medicines to be cautious of. I’m currently onto respiratory infections, and have read there are four antiobiotics used for tortoises to fight these infections: Enrofloxacin, tylosin, doxycyline, and clarithromycin. From a search, enrofloxacin appears to be the medicine most commonly prescribed to treat respiratory infections, but after reading, I’m to believe that certain species of tortoise can be sensitive to this medicine? One of the tortoise species I read are leopards, which is important considering my tortoise is a leopard, so it is something to be aware of.

Is there any reason why enrofloxacin is prescribed so often? Considering my tortoise is a leopard, if he were to develop a respiratory infection, would it be wise to request an alternative antibiotic to enrofloxacin?

Also, given the lack of resources I’m given on the effects of the other three medicines in tortoises, I would have to ask if these are actually safe for tortoises. This isn’t knowledge I need right now, but after scouring the forums, I’m really struggling to find any valuable information regarding these medicines and how safe they are for tortoises, so I do feel the need to ask just incase. Is there any reason why enrofloxacin is more commonly prescribed over all other medicines?

Thank you, I appreciate any responses :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m sorting out a document to refer to if I ever need to take my tortoise to the vet, so I’m aware of toxic medicines, and medicines to be cautious of. I’m currently onto respiratory infections, and have read there are four antiobiotics used for tortoises to fight these infections: Enrofloxacin, tylosin, doxycyline, and clarithromycin. From a search, enrofloxacin appears to be the medicine most commonly prescribed to treat respiratory infections, but after reading, I’m to believe that certain species of tortoise can be sensitive to this medicine? One of the tortoise species I read are leopards, which is important considering my tortoise is a leopard, so it is something to be aware of.

Is there any reason why enrofloxacin is prescribed so often? Considering my tortoise is a leopard, if he were to develop a respiratory infection, would it be wise to request an alternative antibiotic to enrofloxacin?

Also, given the lack of resources I’m given on the effects of the other three medicines in tortoises, I would have to ask if these are actually safe for tortoises. This isn’t knowledge I need right now, but after scouring the forums, I’m really struggling to find any valuable information regarding these medicines and how safe they are for tortoises, so I do feel the need to ask just incase. Is there any reason why enrofloxacin is more commonly prescribed over all other medicines?

Thank you, I appreciate any responses :)
Enroflaxin = Baytril. This was the drug of choice for many years. Most vets still use it, but there is a problem. It is highly caustic and causes chemical burns at the injection site.

Ceftazidime is more commonly used by vets that know better now.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Enroflaxin = Baytril. This was the drug of choice for many years. Most vets still use it, but there is a problem. It is highly caustic and causes chemical burns at the injection site.

Ceftazidime is more commonly used by vets that know better now.

Oh! I’ll give this medicine a little look now. Thanks for mentioning this!

I would suppose if it was my own tortoise being treated, informing them of this medicine would be the way to go?

My vet was confused as to why my tortoise retracted into his shell whilst attempting to poke a syringe full of panacur into his mouth, so I’m doubting they would have any idea of the best antibiotic to use for tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh! I’ll give this medicine a little look now. Thanks for mentioning this!

I would suppose if it was my own tortoise being treated, informing them of this medicine would be the way to go?

My vet was confused as to why my tortoise retracted into his shell whilst attempting to poke a syringe full of panacur into his mouth, so I’m doubting they would have any idea of the best antibiotic to use for tortoises.
I would certainly mention it, and I don't let them do any other treatments or injections without my approval first.

As you have seen first hand, most vets don't know much about tortoise care. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school. Its up to us to make sure that vet "treatment" doesn't do more harm than good.