Am I thinking too "human"?

Jenblalock003

Ok so long story short:

I separated the 2 babies a few weeks ago. Ninja (who was growing slower) remained in glass tank. Baby, the bad one, was moved to a blue Rubbermaid tub. I know Baby liked/likes the glass bc he can see through the glass. Well found him 2 times upside down from climbing the walls (which he never used to do in glass tank). Today, he was upside down again, 3rd time. He's so bad. Sooooo question, I was thinking about switching tanks, Baby in glass and Ninja in tub. Ninja doesn't ever attempt climbing or anything. But I'm worried if she will be stressed moving houses since she just got comfortable being alone? Will she be stressed or sad?

I just want them both happy but Baby is scaring me. Please help!

Btw 1st pic is Ninja and 2nd Baby.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
There is a rumor that tortoises tend to want to follow their line of sight. If they can see out of glassz, a femce, etc. they want to get out.
My enclosures that have glass doors have dark paper taped across the botton of the glass, on the outside, about 6 inches up. This way they can't see out, like a tub, and they are fine.
Mine do want to get out, if they see out.
Others don't have the issue.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I would go ahead and switch them. It would be better to do it now than to wait until she's even more used to that place.

Jenblalock003

I would try covering the glass and see if that helps first before switching them.

Thank you everyone. The glass isn't the problem though. Baby is trying to get out by climbing on the walls of the non see through dark blue tub. He can't see out. He's just used to being able to see out i think. Does that make sense? So I want to switch him to the glass and ninja to the dark tub.

M

Maggie Cummings

Sounds to me like he's not happy where he is. If he liked that tub he would not be trying to get out so bad. I have raised numerous tortoises in glass tanks, some animals like them and some don't. If you think the one in the glass tank would do alright in the tub, then switch them. But it's kind of punishing her because he's a bad ***. Also, I truly believe it's stressful to keep changing them from a familiar place...Can you just set the tub guy up in a better situation without disturbing glass girl?

Jenblalock003

Sounds to me like he's not happy where he is. If he liked that tub he would not be trying to get out so bad. I have raised numerous tortoises in glass tanks, some animals like them and some don't. If you think the one in the glass tank would do alright in the tub, then switch them. But it's kind of punishing her because he's a bad ***. Also, I truly believe it's stressful to keep changing them from a familiar place...Can you just set the tub guy up in a better situation without disturbing glass girl?

I guess I need to find a new glass tank....on sale that is. Lol they are sooooo expensive! But makes sense everyone! Ty you for all the responses!