Am I over-killing in the heat/lamp department?

cheerios586

Location (City and/or State)
Graham, Washington
Hi everyone, it's been awhile since I've posted, but been trying to keep up on things. My RT Yoshi is now 946.2g, she's gained almost 100g in about a year. One of my questions, is that too fast of a growth?

Also, she has a heat lamp for basking, a light for UVB etc, and a heat admitter. Basking area is 99.5'ish, middle is 76'ish and the cool end is around 68'ish. She spends most of her time now that summer has came in the middle, but in the winter she goes to the hotter end. I seldom see her in the cooler end. I've given her a variety of heat spots I think to choose from, am I overkilling?

Also, I give her a soak every-other day/ sometime 2. But I've noticed that her shell is kinda peeling in spots, like the top layer of a fingernail. After a soak, I put coconut oil, a thin coating on her shell for moisture. and I try and keep her enclosure at least 50% humidity, I even bought a humidifyer for her so I can.

She's eating pretty good, and now that it's summer she has a better variety than store bought food, but her appetite has decreased. We walk her outside for an hour or so each day if the temp is above 60 degrees, we are in the PNW.

She has a vet appointment for her annual exam in about 1 week.

I guess my real concern is her decreased appetite and the peeling shell.. Do I have anything to worry about or is this kinda normal? I've had her for a little over a year and she was pet store bought filled with worms, etc. She's got such the attitude, also. lol Only moves around to get her food in her enclosure and all over the yard when she's outside.

Attached is a photo

Thanks in advance for all the imput/advice.

Attachments

• 05_30_2019.JPG
    05_30_2019.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 05_30_2019_01.JPG
    05_30_2019_01.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 05_30_2019_03.JPG
    05_30_2019_03.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 18

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Doesn't look like too much heat for that size enclosure, and the tortoises behavior seems just about right too.

I don't know what you mean by "walk" your tortoise, but it should be in a secure outdoor enclosure, not loose. Loose is a recipe for disaster. More outside time during nice weather would be good too.

I'd lose the hay in the enclosure. Russians don't eat it and it will mold if it gets damp.

100 grams in a year is very slow growth. Not too fast.

Peeling shell isn't good. Need to see pics of that.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Doesn't look like too much heat for that size enclosure, and the tortoises behavior seems just about right too.

I don't know what you mean by "walk" your tortoise, but it should be in a secure outdoor enclosure, not loose. Loose is a recipe for disaster. More outside time during nice weather would be good too.

I'd lose the hay in the enclosure. Russians don't eat it and it will mold if it gets damp.

100 grams in a year is very slow growth. Not too fast.

Peeling shell isn't good. Need to see pics of that.
Oh, I didn't know about the timothy hay, I change it frequently, she likes to hide underneath it, but will certainly take it out. The peeling is really my concern, it doesn't make sense why she would be peeling. Thank you for your insight. Cheryl

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Oh, I didn't know about the timothy hay, I change it frequently, she likes to hide underneath it, but will certainly take it out. The peeling is really my concern, it doesn't make sense why she would be peeling. Thank you for your insight. Cheryl
Oh, I forgot to answer. We have a lease for her, so she isn't walking loose in the backyard lol