Alfalfa pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFCO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amherstburg, Ontario
Is it ok to raise the humidity level using the alfalfa pellets i know by getting them wet the can make a mess. My pen now is 50% and was going to raise the humidity to aroung 75%? if the alfalfa pellets can not handle the spraying of water what should I change it too?

Thanks

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
The pellets can spoil and mold once wet.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Nobody on this forum recommends alfafa pellets. When I was doing research I read on many sites about how ideal the alfalfa pellets are but when I contacted my breeder he said that I should not use the alfalfa pellets, I never even bought them I was just setting up to get ready for my little ones, and recommended the coco coir. You can get them at most pet stores and online. I have also heard that some nurseries carry it but I did not have any luck finding it here in OK. The coco coir hold humidity well and does not mold. It works great. Mine love to burrow in it and will kick it onto their shells as they are laying in their little burrows, so cute!:) Good luck and let us know what you decide to do. Post lots of pictures and keep us updated. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not recommend alfalfa pellets as a substrate at all. Click the links in my signature and there are four different threads listing what substrates are good.

Status
Not open for further replies.