Age/enclosure opinions welcome for baby Sulcata

Ak3035

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello,

I found this forum while googling for info about our new found baby sulcata. Tiny, as he/she is being named, wandered into our front yard and after searching we found no one looking for him. So we are keeping him in sunny southern AZ.

My parents have our 22 year old family sulcata tortoise which we got around the same age as this little guy but that was a long time ago so I need relevant care tips for this baby. I have done lots of reading from many online sources and see lots of conflicts so I thought I’d ask here.

Someday Tiny will live outside in our yard but for now he’s in a 60 gal tank. I see it’s recommended to cover for humidity retention and we likely will with something. We have one mercury vaper 125w bulb in a cage. The temp under averages 100 degrees and 43% humidity. On the other side the temp is 80 degrees and 80% humidity. We set his tank up yesterday and monitored regularly since.

I have given him two soaks since I learned about that, one per day. The water doesn’t seem warm to me but the thermometer says 90ish degrees, and I soaked him for 15-20 minutes. He has taken many naps under his light, and he has nibbled food and got into his water so I think he’s a healthy, happy little guy so far.

So, I believe he needs one more “ambient” light for 12 hours and the current UV heat either for 3 hours or 12 hours? I’m getting conflicted info from different sites. Why does he need 2 different lights, and what’s the recommended time daily for each type? And how do I achieve heat all day if he does not need UV all day?

I want to start a small container garden outside for him, I am thinking about a kiddie pool with grass planted and then also some other plants and letting him hang out in it for a bit when I can. Does anyone else have anything similar to share or recommendations for fast growing, tasty planting?

As far as sharing Tiny’s size, he’s 37g and his shell length is 2”. Since we found him outside we don’t know his age, does anyone have guesses? 2 weeks? 2 months? :)

Is there any way to tell if he’s a fast or slow grower or do all sulcatas grow at the same rate? We want to keep him in his current set up as long as possible and then have a safe den outside for him after, then probably full yard roaming once he’s more like 150lbs like my parent’s.

Thanks for any sources or tips regarding Tiny’s new home, his size or anything else.

Attachments

• IMG_8538.jpeg
    IMG_8538.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0031.jpeg
    IMG_0031.jpeg
    953.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8536.jpeg
    IMG_8536.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8537.jpeg
    IMG_8537.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome!

This is a hatchling. Show us a pic of the nose and the plastron for more confirmation. The state of the egg tooth and the umbilical scar will tell the tale.

Your substrate and water dishes are perfect. Get rid of the MVB and replace it with a regular incandescent bulb for basking. MVBs cause pyramiding. You need four types of lighting and heating. That will be explained in detail in the link I will leave for you.

If you keep doing "research" on the web, you will get a lot of bad info and experience terrible frustration. Most of the care info out in the world is terrible. Vets, books, pet stores, FB, YT... all the old wrong info.

Here is the correct care info. Its a lot to read through, but there is a lot to learn. Look for the sulcata care sheet near the bottom. 10-20 minutes of reading will catch you up to speed on all the CORRECT care info.

Ak3035

Arizona
Thank you for your reply! We will read through that again and figure out our new lighting situation!
Attaching more photos for aging.

Attachments

• IMG_8543.jpeg
    IMG_8543.jpeg
    890.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8547.jpeg
    IMG_8547.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8546.jpeg
    IMG_8546.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for your reply! We will read through that again and figure out our new lighting situation!
Attaching more photos for aging.
This little one is probably a week or two old. His umbilical scar is all healed up, so he probably stayed underground in the nest after hatching for a couple of weeks, which is normal.