Adopted a tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZAS

5 Year Member
Hi i'm from South Africa, Johannesburg, my husband picked up a tortoise in the road 4 days ago, we decided to adopt it as it's not save for it in the city streets. I don't know much about tortoises and am currently learning via google reaserch. The tortoise could be a Hinge-back or Leopard, (sorry don't have pic at the moment) he was in bad shape when we got him, i'm guessing he might have been abused by the looks on he's shell as there are very bad dents. We try to feed him and take care of him, he seemed to be doing much better now as he becomes more alive and active and less shy, yesterday I saw him eating for the first time, and I gave him a nice soak/bath, his stool is more firm now then what it was. However I do have a few concerns and questions. One of his scutes was very loose, i took it off as I read that they need to be removed so that things don't get stuck in there that's bad for their healt. The scute was very thik and the shell under the scute colour looked like a dark perly white coulour, some of the small scute at the back of the shell close to his legs were gone already and has the same colour. Could this be their bone as it does not look like the same colour as the other scute? There was no puss at all, and would the colour eventually change to normal. Then I was wondering if I should let him in the house at night, today is his first day out as he seems much better now. Another question is would the dents in the shelll eventually grow out or would it be there for life. I would appreciate any advise etc that can assist me in making him a happy tortoise once again.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
welcome. yes, posting some pics would be good so you can get some more accurate help.Sounds pretty bad, scutes coming off ouch.

ZAS

5 Year Member
pdrobber said:
welcome. yes, posting some pics would be good so you can get some more accurate help.Sounds pretty bad, scutes coming off ouch.

Thanks will post pictures tomorrow to get feedback and what type of tortoise it is.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi ZAS:

Welcome to the forum!!

Should we call you ZAS, or is that a username?

Poor tortoise. I'm so glad you found him and are trying to learn how to care for him. You've come to the right place. We'll do all we can to help you.

I need to see pictures, but yes, what's under the scutes is bone.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
dents in the shell? Like bite marks>
if it is used to living outside, Id say leave it out and dont bring it in, but it needs to have a safe enclosure.
If its a pet and got out, then maybe it should come in, and if if is having health issues... hmmmm
Pictures please.
Do you live in Joburg? I stayed at the Somerset many years back. beautiful gardens, great people...

ZAS

5 Year Member
Laura said:
dents in the shell? Like bite marks>
if it is used to living outside, Id say leave it out and dont bring it in, but it needs to have a safe enclosure.
If its a pet and got out, then maybe it should come in, and if if is having health issues... hmmmm
Pictures please.
Do you live in Joburg? I stayed at the Somerset many years back. beautiful gardens, great people...

Attatched picture 1, as you can see on the right hand side and at the bottem some scute came off. (hope pic comes through) Pic 2 to follow with dents in shell

ZAS

5 Year Member
CtTortoise said:

mmm i'm doing something wrong, I select new attachment and click add,and nothing happens. maybe i'm doing it wrong. Ill try again.

DSC01267.JPGpic 1,

DSC01285.JPGpic 2, dents in shell, right in the middel and above the scute that came off. That is a bad one its big and about 3mm deep. it's as if someone tried to crack open the shell.

DSC01282.JPGpic 3, meet Tommy, if anyone can let me know what kind of tortois this is, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The damage you see on the shell is from being chewed on...by a dog or some kind of animal with huge, carnivorous teeth.

Don't know what kind it is, but someone else will help you on that.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Poor guy, looks like he had a few bad moments. Is he eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.