A quick question on water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
So, all along I have used Spring Water for my turtle (A Stinkpot.), but I have heard conflicting stories on whether or not well water (Natural, the well is artisan and in my back yard.) is okay for turtles.

So, the matter is, is it?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Is your question, is well water okay?

In which case, thats impossible to answer. My well water? It comes from about 200 feet down straight from the everglades...I call it clean :). Well-water can be polluted...pH, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, etc. can all be off. In short: depends on the well.
Only way to know for sure is a freshwater testing kit :).

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
A wise idea!

Where abouts could I buy one of those?

Last thing I want is to put something unsafe in my turtles enclosure.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Fish specialized stores, or pet stores, MAY have them.
You can also get it tested...A couple services do it, but thats up to you to find one local :).
How exactly did you fill an entire aquarium with spring water?

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I buy spring water at the store for 95 cents a gallon.

Now, considering that she's in a 45 gallon tank.. :p

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
That can't be fun to fill...I love my well :) Nothing better then being able to fill aquariums straight from the hose.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Haha, exactly! Which is why I'm hoping after I get the water tested, it comes out nice.

Not to mention, when you get to the checkout at a store with that many gallons of water, it can be pretty amusing.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Well water is often the most natural water to use for aquatic turtles. In most places using well water, it is quite natural, and very close to being spring water. It often comes off a spring somewhere, and chances are if your well was polluted, you'd know about it. Generally speaking, if you're drinking your well water, its safe for your turtle.

I've got a few years of experience testing well water nitrates and the like and know the approximate amounts for most of the regulations. The amounts they allow in it for human consumption won't hurt your turtle. So again, unless your well has been contaminated by something, it will be fine.

Its better than city tap water, for sure. I've used spring water on a 120G tank before, by the way, so your 45 is nothing! :p

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Well, a lot of the towns around me do use natural spring water. The town over actually has Poland Spring (Not sure if that's common outside New England to see Poland Spring?) water on tap.

Status
Not open for further replies.