A (LONG OVERDUE) MONSTRO UPDATE! PHOTO HEAVY

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Yesterday, I had the luxury of hanging out with the torts all day! Although obsessed with the Sudans...my focus for this day was on Monstro (formerly known as Climber). I got a shot of him when he first emerged ...about 10AM...and settled into his favorite spot in the yard to warm up! After about an hour he was on the move...for about a minute. He dropped onto the northernmost point of the back lawn...and proceeded to munch out...he reminded me of The Flinstone's lawnmower...and I'll tell you why! He started eating at around 11AM...stopped long enough for an afternoon nap...from ~3-4PM ...then right back to it...and didn't stop until he went in for the night at about 5:30. He literally ate for a solid 5 1/2 hours. My backyard looks like it was just mowed...by a blind man...since there are some patches of 4-6 inch clumps. But, for the most part, it basically looks like a giant putting green. The next five or six shot give you an idea...more of a glimpse into a day in the life... enjoy!

avfp1y.jpg

2mf0nzq.jpg

33fdrtl.jpg

2ed0byr.jpg

2z3q3dj.jpg

2cz3bwz.jpg

2laule.jpg

14xh1jc.jpg

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
BK-JAY said:
Nice very nice pictures how big is he and how much dose he wiegh?

GEEZ! I can't believe I forgot the vitals...

He's exactly 20" SCL and weighs a hair more than 40 pounds...BTW he just turned 4 years old this past September! I got him (and his brother Jimmy) from a breeder up here in the Antelope Valley. As Jimmy became more of a blow-up doll for him...I gave Jimmy to a friend of mine. Now, Monstro serves as mentor to the Sudan tribe...

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
WOW.........Nice, Nice, NICE! ! ! !

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
What a beautiful specimen. You should be proud of that big boy. You've got sudans ? I would love to see pictures of those guys if you get a chance .

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
diamondbp said:
What a beautiful specimen. You should be proud of that big boy. You've got sudans ? I would love to see pictures of those guys if you get a chance .

The Sudans turn 2 in May...I plan to do an update then! Stay tuned...;)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
DeanS said:
diamondbp said:

The Sudans turn 2 in May...I plan to do an update then! Stay tuned...;)

I'll be on the edge of my chair ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Spring is definitely in the air. My mulberrys and grape vines are budding up, and my sulcatas are grazing all day every day again too.

He looks good Dean.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:
Spring is definitely in the air. My mulberrys and grape vines are budding up, and my sulcatas are grazing all day every day again too.

He looks good Dean.

My mulberry has something going already, as well! That's the earliest ever!:D

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
FIRST post in a long time! We have relocated from CA to NC this past year! MONSTRO! decided to make an appearance! He took over one of the youngster's burrows and decided to make it his own! That burrow is about 10 feet deep right now...another two feet and he'll excavate his first chamber...always turning left! Took him 4 hours to dig that...this hard NC clay is difficult to bust...even with a shovel! MONSTRO! will be 13 years old in a couple months! He's 28.5" SCL and 124 lbs!20220603_092422.jpg20220603_091758.jpg20220603_092055.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw heck! It's sad to see you leave California! Was it for your job?

Monstro looks great. how are you liking your new place far as tortoises are concerned?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Aw heck! It's sad to see you leave California! Was it for your job?

Monstro looks great. how are you liking your new place far as tortoises are concerned?
The City offered me early retirement a year-and-a-half ago...then welched on all the 'promises' I hate Newsom with a passion...so leaving CA was almost obligatory...plus I needed more property for my OTHER babies...but spring and summer have been perfect for the tortoises! Say Hi to the other babies!BabyBlock.JPG1st weights.JPG

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The City offered me early retirement a year-and-a-half ago...then welched on all the 'promises' I hate Newsom with a passion...so leaving CA was almost obligatory...plus I needed more property for my OTHER babies...but spring and summer have been perfect for the tortoises! Say Hi to the other babies!View attachment 346111View attachment 346113
Enjoy the north cacilacy clay! I have nightmares of doing construction job in NC

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh my! I didn't realize you also kept wolves. They're beautiful! The weather is probably more fitting there for them.