A few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombietorts0624

5 Year Member
So lately i have been extremely interested in picking up a burmese black. I have the proper funding backayrd space is no issue diet isnt really a problem. I have just been reading alot on how they dont handle temperature extremes very well and that makes me kind of worried. I live in florida and it got down into the low 30s last winter and it gets pretty hot and humid in the summer. And from what i have read neither are particularly good for this species. So basically what can be done to prevent any future problems as far as weather goes. I read they need well planted pens that wouldnt be a problem either im just curious.

Thanks

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
For the first couple of years they may be what you call a little delicate, but not as delicate as sulcata , leopard, redfoot,etc youngsters, As for the temperature extremes, I feel that they handle them better than most tortoises do. They are active at the lowest temps of any tortoise that I have ever kept,and as for the heat,if they have shade and humidity they can take the high temps without any problem.After the third year they are almost indestructible.I have been keeping them in Maryland and Virginia for 14 years. Last week I shipped 4 adults(2 emys emys and 2 phayrei) back to Florida for breeding, I'm getting more babies to raise, and looking forward to it. Len

zombietorts0624

5 Year Member
Thanks that was some really helpful info. Do you think indoor accomadations would be needed in the winter then?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
zombietorts0624 said:
Thanks that was some really helpful info. Do you think indoor accomadations would be needed in the winter then?

Yes for a few years, but only when the temps get lower than normal, not for the whole winter, I move mine in and out depending on the temps because we do get some good warm days during the winter months.As they get bigger they are more tolerant of the cooler temps.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I'm in FL and I keep my adults & 3 year olds outside all year. They have heated refugia for those nights that drop below 40 (last year 26 was the record low here) and plenty of shade for the 100+ days. They seem to tolerate it without issue.

There are a few hatchling phayrei running around here somewhere if anyone was interested <wink><wink>... They have been kept inside, so far. I don't have a suitable outdoor enclosure for them yet. They are kept in 37 qt plastic tubs on pine bark nuggets. The lid is left on the box to maintain humidity and every 3 days or so removed for a day to allow the top layer to dry. They keep the substrate plenty wet with the olympic diving they do into the water dishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.