3x6 Wooden turtle table!!!! *All Done*

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlyholmes

5 Year Member
I had this table built for my box turtles! Its all done and set up in my front room :)

The turtles are loving exploring it and finding their hides. Check it out and tell me what you think?

DSC_0659.jpg

DSC_0668.jpg

Brock in the water dish

DSC_0666.jpg

Oscar found his fave hide!

DSC_0663.jpg

Baby Houdini LOVES the coco domes (planter refills!)

DSC_0662.jpg

Biggie on the basking rock

DSC_0661.jpg

Checking out the cocofiber

DSC_0660.jpg

It cost me $76 and I had a friend build it. We altered these plans to make a 3x6: http://www.russiantortoise.org/tortoise_table.htm

Its great and the turtles are loving it. I plain 4x8 tarp inside to keep the wood safe.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Very nice!!!!! Do you have the substrate covering all of the tarp? I can not tell....I would make sure to provide enough substrate in the entire enclosure to create at least 4 to 6 inches of depth.... :D

Again, very nice table :D

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Looks Great and as mentioned already looks like one side has substrate only.
If you put it everywhere and make it a couple inches deep im sure your turtle will like it alot better :)
As far as everything else looks it looks great very natural :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The possible problem I see, other then the substrate need, is there are no caps or lips that I can see. It would not take much for most box turtles I know, to soon be climbing out of their table, between using the corners and even some of those sweet items you placed in there (if they end up close enough to the wall, which from this angle one rock may be close enough). Great looking at this point.

karlyholmes

5 Year Member
Oh yes, I have wooden baby gates layed over the ends, I just took them off for photos :) Im a little on the poor side and bought all that was left at petco for substrate. I get paid again on wednesday so ill have it filled all the way soon. This table is awesome compared to the dinky enclosure they had before and they are loving not having to share hide space and basking on the rock. They really like going under the coco domes and all. Thanks!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
No shame in having to buy bits and pieces as you go. I also liked the use of the coco plant folder thingies. ;) The main thing is, it soulds like they are loving it... as are you! :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I agree with Jacqui....pick up what you want and can as you go for sure....I know that sometimes the coco coir is more expensive and sold in smaller packaging than if you go to Lowes or Home Depot and purchase the finely processed peat moss and it is like 9.00 or 10.00 dollars for one bag...and I would venture to say that the one bag would cover your entire table and it hold moisture really well and once you get the first soaking done it takes water nicely...(the first soaking has to be slow and steady versus pouring quickly, as it is ultra absorbant and can hold alot of water that if you pour quickly it kinda floats on the top as it soaks in --after that though it soaks quickly and nicely)....anyways, just thought I would put that out there....:D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ascott said:
I agree with Jacqui....pick up what you want and can as you go for sure....I know that sometimes the coco coir is more expensive and sold in smaller packaging than if you go to Lowes or Home Depot and purchase the finely processed peat moss and it is like 9.00 or 10.00 dollars for one bag...and I would venture to say that the one bag would cover your entire table and it hold moisture really well and once you get the first soaking done it takes water nicely...(the first soaking has to be slow and steady versus pouring quickly, as it is ultra absorbant and can hold alot of water that if you pour quickly it kinda floats on the top as it soaks in --after that though it soaks quickly and nicely)....anyways, just thought I would put that out there....:D

I tried this in the past and it was several years ago. I found the type sold for outside to dry out extremely quickly and then becoming very very dusty... the dust factor being the biggest issue for me. So I stopped using it, even in flower beds outside. Just my thoughts on it and it was of course not this brand.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Jacqui is correct, there are some brands that do not hold up as well...the one that I linked is one that I use and works out well....I have it in with the RFs and it is cool because I can soak it...then within a couple of days I let the top walking surface dry out a little but under that layer is 4-5 inches of moist substrate....so works out really well and keeps the overall humidity up with out cooling down the temps....

So yes, there are brands out there (along with the long stringy peat moss) that are not the greatest....:D

karlyholmes

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
No shame in having to buy bits and pieces as you go. I also liked the use of the coco plant folder thingies. ;) The main thing is, it soulds like they are loving it... as are you! :)

Yeah the baby especially loves those things! Great hidy holes! I am truly enjoying having my turtles in the table. Its so neat seeing them every morning as they sleep too.

Status
Not open for further replies.