• 1502565638995.jpg
    1502565638995.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 32

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you feed Mazuri tortoise food? If not add it to his diet 2-3 times a week. That to me, seems to add size.

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
Ok so the vet said chele has parasites and gave meds. And also suggested that i get more vitamin A into his diet. So heres the new questions:
What would be the best/easiest way to give him the meds that are to be given orally?
And how can i get him more vitamin A?

Of course these two things she said would not explain his super slow growth....

Kasia

Poland
OParasites would. They take nutrients from his food. Mine had the same story.
After the treatment you should see him go :)
What meds do you have? Liquid or paste?
Try giving him a bit on the food he likes even a fruit so you'll be sure that he will eat it form your hand...
but if he doesn't like it members here recommended a credit card trick that worked for me. You must grab his neck just behind his head and tip his mouth open with a corner of a credit card. As long as you keep the corner inside he will not close it and you'll be able to gently put meds on his tongue for him to swallow. Of course try to keep him in his normal position, not upside down or facing up. It's important so you will not pump meds in his lungs. The same if you feel that the portion is too big to go whole at once.
Good luck

Last edited:

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Put a few drops of water on a single Mazuri pellet and it will soften up. Then split it in half (to gain saturation). Now put the medicine/paste on the softened Mazuri and then feed the pellet to your tortoise.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Hello,
Did you address the parasites? Has he been retested?

How frequently would you say Chele eats?

37g is higher than the 33g , so that's progress.

Have you asked the source about others in the same batch?

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
Yes i gave him the meds as you suggested with mazuri, though a much smaller piece since chele seems more of a nibbler. He has not been retested yet but sometime this week i will be taking him in for that.
As far as eating, i work most of the day but he gets fresh greens and mazuri in the morning before i leave and when the kids get home they get him more fresh greens, but from what i have seen while at home he is a nibbler, i'd say he hits each fresh plate at least twice if not more, though when i can manage some cactus he really digs into that.

As for the others in the batch im not sure, he came from tortoise town, since it was an emailed receipt i have lost it so it was difficult to even get a hatch date from them

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Yes i gave him the meds as you suggested with mazuri, though a much smaller piece since chele seems more of a nibbler. He has not been retested yet but sometime this week i will be taking him in for that.
As far as eating, i work most of the day but he gets fresh greens and mazuri in the morning before i leave and when the kids get home they get him more fresh greens, but from what i have seen while at home he is a nibbler, i'd say he hits each fresh plate at least twice if not more, though when i can manage some cactus he really digs into that.

As for the others in the batch im not sure, he came from tortoise town, since it was an emailed receipt i have lost it so it was difficult to even get a hatch date from them

Ok. Sounds like you're still in decent shape. What happens when you take him outside for natural sunlight?

I grow an organic lawn on my yard for the tortoises. I will clip the grass for them and feed in their salad as a variety, moderate success. However, when I let them run loose in the same grass, they go willy-nilly grazing nonstop.

Do you happen to know what medication they have for the worms? I think the worms/parasites may be lingering.

How much Mazuri do you feed?

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
When i take him out he roams for a while nibbling on grass and leaves. Just nibbles. I have had no luck growing the seeds i ordered, its a tortoise grazing mix. I dont know, mississippi sand-"dirt" sucks.

Off hand i dont remember what the meds were called.
In the morn he gets 3 mazuri soaked in water, or every 2 days i soak them in water- carrot mix. He never finishes it though, but by the time the kids get home he has nibbled close to half i think....he walks all over it too so its hard to tell exactly how much, sometimes in the evening i'll soak one mazuri and offer with his greens before lights out