1.5yr feeding amount African Sulcata??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabbi

5 Year Member
Hey!

New to this forum. I hope it's still active and I can get some responses.
I am having difficulty knowing how much to feed my baby. His name is Sampson. From what I have gathered, he is about a year and a half. I feed him primarily romaine lettuce with calcium supplements as well as let him roam around on occasion around the lawn. It's Bermuda grass. This is very very occasionally though as I work a lot and mostly keep him inside.
Here's the thing: I feed him a big handful of the lettuce a day and sprinkle some of the calcium supplement on top. He always munches it up though. I feed him a bit more and he kind of leaves it alone.

I just am not sure that I'm feeding him the right amount.
I don't want him to be hungry but all that lettuce gets really expensive too so I don't want it to go to waste.

Any advice??

Also- at about what age do you know for sure the gender of the baby? I am pretty sure he's a boy because of some "noises" that he has made at "night" lol but I'm just curious. I just call "Sammy" in the meantime.

Thanks!

-Lizzi

Attachments

• taba and sammy.jpg
    taba and sammy.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 25

RonHays

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oxford, Ms
Tom on this forum has the perfect care sheet for your sulcata. One thing I can tell you for sure on your post and pic, is that your tort needs all the sun and warmth he can get right now. And I definitely would NOT feed him on carpet. Anyways I strongly suggest you research care and husbandry for Sulcata's. :)

Zabbi said:
Hey!

New to this forum. I hope it's still active and I can get some responses.
I am having difficulty knowing how much to feed my baby. His name is Sampson. From what I have gathered, he is about a year and a half. I feed him primarily romaine lettuce with calcium supplements as well as let him roam around on occasion around the lawn. It's Bermuda grass. This is very very occasionally though as I work a lot and mostly keep him inside.
Here's the thing: I feed him a big handful of the lettuce a day and sprinkle some of the calcium supplement on top. He always munches it up though. I feed him a bit more and he kind of leaves it alone.

I just am not sure that I'm feeding him the right amount.
I don't want him to be hungry but all that lettuce gets really expensive too so I don't want it to go to waste.

Any advice??

Also- at about what age do you know for sure the gender of the baby? I am pretty sure he's a boy because of some "noises" that he has made at "night" lol but I'm just curious. I just call "Sammy" in the meantime.

Thanks!

-Lizzi

As far as the gender of him/her, it's going to be a few years before you know for sure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME :D. You need to feed more then just romaine. A wide variety is needed. Check out thetortoisetable.org for edible plants and weeds. As for grocery store items, spring mix, endive, dandelion greens, some mustard and collard greens once in a while, Mauzri tortoise diet. Feed you baby a better diet but as you are. Better to have some food left over then hungry. I fed my baby leopard twice a day, large handfuls. Even if it drys out they can and will still eat it.
Check out The threads at the bottom of this post. They are all good for proper way to house and raise a healthy, smooth sulcata.

Status
Not open for further replies.