Zoomed powersun 100 or 160

aidenb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan, Canada
I need a new UVB bulb and haven't been thrilled with the exo terra solar glo so I've decided to try the zoomed powersun. The bulb would be about 14" above the shell of a 5" sulcata. Which bulb would be most appropriate?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27

mikeh

5 Year Member
Definitely 100W. Even then it may need to be higher of the ground.

aidenb

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
Ok sounds good. I've heard the zoomed ones are better quality than exoterra. Is this true? Will the UVB output be better than a 125W exoterra solar glo

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Depends on your layout...also, if it has any access to outdoors...you don't even need a MVB! Literally, an hour a day outside provides all the UV and D3 required.

aidenb

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
Which generally provides better UVB. The exoterra 125 or the zoomed powersun 100 about 14" above the substrate? I live in canada so all summer I can have him and my hermanns outside on most days but during fall and winter it's far too cold so I need reliable UVB to keep them healthy. What would the minimum temperature you'd recommend taking a young sulcata outdoors in?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The 100 gives you a narrower beam and smaller hot spot. The 160s tend to be broader and they heat a larger area. For bigger (and soon to be MUCH bigger) tortoise like yours, I would go with the larger warmed area. The recommendations for bulb distance on the package are a good starting place, but every enclosure and home is different. I adjust the height of my bulbs to get the correct basking temperature under them.

I also suggest you get a light meter to insure that your indoor tortoise's UV needs are being met during all those indoor winter months. This is just as important as a thermometer to check temperatures. I suggest this one: http://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

As far as outside minimum temps, its not that simple. There are a lot of factors to consider. Sometimes during our winters I will sun babies in big black rubber tubs when its only 60 degrees F outside mid day. The black rubber heats up to 85-95 depending on wind and dampness. If they are going on the ground you'll want to use and infrared temp gun and check the ground temps. If it was a cold night and its in a shady area, it will be too cold. If the night wasn't too bad and the sun has been hitting that patch of earth for a few hours, and there is no wind and the ground is not damp from rain, then it might be okay to put them out when its only 65F. You will have to use some thermometers and check the temps in YOUR specific outside tortoise enclosure area.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Which generally provides better UVB. The exoterra 125 or the zoomed powersun 100 about 14" above the substrate? I live in canada so all summer I can have him and my hermanns outside on most days but during fall and winter it's far too cold so I need reliable UVB to keep them healthy. What would the minimum temperature you'd recommend taking a young sulcata outdoors in?
To that point, I can't speak highly enough about the 160º...it's the ONLY MVB I ever used! Also, Tom speaks the truth. Here, in the high desert, it drops to below freezing regularly during the winter...but, if the sun is out...there are two spots that register 80º by temp gun. So, get them that natural UV...no matter the temp...then get 'em under a good basking lamp...MVB not necessary.