Zoo Med Natural Grassland Tortoise Food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
HarleyK said:

Great threads Harley. Thanks for digging these up. This explains a lot about Ej for me. I wish he'd come back. I too am seeing some pretty amazing results from Mazuri. I agree with Kate, and the ingredients don't impress me, BUT I can't argue with real world experience and the fantastic results that I've seen over and over again.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:
HarleyK said:

Great threads Harley. Thanks for digging these up. This explains a lot about Ej for me. I wish he'd come back. I too am seeing some pretty amazing results from Mazuri. I agree with Kate, and the ingredients don't impress me, BUT I can't argue with real world experience and the fantastic results that I've seen over and over again.

I can't argue with that. Aladar simply loves the stuff...lately I've been mixing it with lawn clippings...from my front yard (which is all fescues, clover and dandelion. I also use the GRASSLAND (of course)...and the occasional Zupreem timothy (all mixed together).

A point that EJ brought up (and I love it) is the fact that tortoises are (to a GREAT degree)...SCAVENGERS. That got me thinking...so why not feed them Mazuri...it's no worse for them than eating dropping or the occasional small animal...and they keep growing...Why, you ask (Yvonne)? High protein content.;)

I, too, would like to thank HarleyK for digging up these great old threads.

shane1111

5 Year Member
i feed my baby cherry heads zoo med's Natural Forest Tortoise Food. they love it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I bought a young Manouria emys emys from a guy up in Sacramento about a month ago. I normally don't give my Manouria Mazuri because last time I tried it on them they wouldn't eat it. But yesterday I topped their fruit, veggie and greens meal with a couple scoops of moistened Mazuri and that new little tortoise just went wild for it! She ate all of it that I put out for her.

SpazzyArtist

5 Year Member
Somewhere over the rainbow.
shane1111 said:
i feed my baby cherry heads zoo med's Natural Forest Tortoise Food. they love it

Do you soften it with water first too? (Thanks!)

emysemys said:
I bought a young Manouria emys emys from a guy up in Sacramento about a month ago. I normally don't give my Manouria Mazuri because last time I tried it on them they wouldn't eat it. But yesterday I topped their fruit, veggie and greens meal with a couple scoops of moistened Mazuri and that new little tortoise just went wild for it! She ate all of it that I put out for her.

Hmmm, do you think I can get Mazuri at the store? (Thanks!)

shane1111

5 Year Member
SpazzyArtist said:
shane1111 said:

yes i have to add water or they cant eat it

SpazzyArtist

5 Year Member
shane1111 said:
SpazzyArtist said:
shane1111 said:

yes i have to add water or they cant eat it

Thanks!! :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Mazuri is carried by most feed stores and is usually very reasonable...I pay $21 for a 25 pound bag. But there are a few here who offer a good deal for smaller amounts...try Cory for example...follow the link!

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-11568.html

samstar

5 Year Member
My torts are hooked on to Mazuri. I give it to them 6 days a week and on Sundays I feed them salads or hibiscus

SpazzyArtist

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
Mazuri is carried by most feed stores and is usually very reasonable...I pay $21 for a 25 pound bag. But there are a few here who offer a good deal for smaller amounts...try Cory for example...follow the link!

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-11568.html
Oooo, link! Thank you!

samstar said:
My torts are hooked on to Mazuri. I give it to them 6 days a week and on Sundays I feed them salads or hibiscus

Hmmm, cool. :)

HarleyK

5 Year Member
samstar said:

Let's see some pics :]

fel1958

10 Year Member!
tri states-pa.,n.y.,n.j.
DeanS said:
For those of you that want your torts to eat Grassland (or Mazuri, for that matter)...moisten it then mix it with your Spring Mix (Santa Barbara Mix is WAY better) and that should get them interested...

ChiKat said:
DeanS said:
Grassland is better for them...if you go strictly by the label. It contains EVERYTHING a tort should be eating naturally plus it includes a well-balanced supply of supplements, whereas Mazuri contains NOTHING a tort would find in the wild...although it sure does seem to accelerate growth.

Why are so many people seemingly obsessed with Mazuri? Why not just feed a natural diet?
I only feed my tortoise "real" greens/weeds/lettuce but if I were to choose between Grassland and Mazuri I suppose I would choose Grassland for the reasons you mentioned...

Again...the ONLY good thing about Mazuri is that it seems to accelerate growth...but this too should be done in moderation...I've seen 6 month old sucatas that are 10 inches long...but have terrible pyramiding...so it's really about getting the right combination (and frequency) of diet, heat, humidity...and SUNLIGHT!

dean,,i agree 100%...thats why i am now selling bulk grassland and trying to get away from mazuri.it is easy to make the change by mixing both together and adding less of mazuri and more grassland each time.a little mazuri wont hurt.grassland and fesh fruits and veggies are the best.

SpazzyArtist said:

i have been using it for about a year.it is formulated for tortoises.its a lot more natural than mazuri.i sell both products on ebay if your interested.i have been adding free samples with my mazuri sales.the feedback has been good.i will continue to use mazuri once or twice a week.grassland and fresh vegies and fruit mostly.in the northeast it is hard to go out and grab a handfull of grass when there is 6" of snow on the ground.if it was you,,would you grab a handfull of formulated pellets or an apple,orange?

shane1111

5 Year Member
where do you get bulk grass land food? And where can I get bulk forest diet?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
shane1111 said:

LLLReptile.com is the most reliable source and it's shipped directly to you from Zoo Med.

fel1958 said:
shane1111 said:

email me, [email protected] or check me out on ebay.would like to help you out.

email me [email protected] or i have ebay auctions zoomed grassland or mazuri tortoise.

Frank...I'm still waiting to hear from you! You needed my zip fot final cost...I sent it to you 3 times...again! 93534;)

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I was thinking about how dogs eat pellets and they basically eat processed foods their entire lives and this is fine for them. Mazuri is fine...read EJ's post in thread....

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Mazuri is fine...for supplemetal feeding (2 - 3 days a week). Grassland can be fed daily!

samstar

5 Year Member
Mazuri has been fed everyday by Ed, the zoos, my friend for many many years already resulting in excelent healthy growths.

Status
Not open for further replies.