Zeus cooling off in the sand?

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Casselberry
So I was outside hanging out with my 3 year old and my sullys. My smaller one was in the cage but zeus gets to hang out with me(because he bully's charlie hardcore so they can never be left alone together ever ever ever ever) I like to play the whole call his name and see if he comes game lol. Any who Zeus grazed for awhile before he decided to check out the sand. Surprisingly enough he didn't try n eat it..yet...but he did start throwing sand on him self and it was cute and funny. Although it was 75 degrees outside and we were only out for an hour, I'm assuming he was trying to cool off.. But I don't know so here's a video tell me what you think... Attached is my daughter because if you see the video you will hear her, a picture of the land I'm on and the big pile of sand we got specially ordered. its fresh clean sand and it's going to be leveled out soon and her playground will be on it. Till then its her mountain of sand to play with :heart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99X0KcTh8EM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Attachments

• 1382466446564.jpg
    1382466446564.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 1382466463492.jpg
    1382466463492.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 1382466479288.jpg
    1382466479288.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 1382466496964.jpg
    1382466496964.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 93

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think he wanted to dig a burrow, but was too nosey of everything else going on to really give it all he's got:D. Cute pics.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Zeus is a very good looking sulcata. Love the dark coloring. I don't have any sand, but my sulcata will do that same thing with dirt or mud (if he can find any mud here, it's so dry). When I soak him in water he always throws some on his back.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
75 here yesterday? What? It was 90ish here in Orlando. Aren't you just a little north of here?

I can't do the video, but those are cool pics. Funny. I try to REMOVE sand from anywhere near an area where a tortoise might ever be. You are trucking it in...

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
Re: RE: Zeus cooling off in the sand?

Tom said:
75 here yesterday? What? It was 90ish here in Orlando. Aren't you just a little north of here?

I can't do the video, but those are cool pics. Funny. I try to REMOVE sand from anywhere near an area where a tortoise might ever be. You are trucking it in...
[/quot8ish

Tom had no idea you were in florida How cool! And yes it was 75 or around their when I checked the temp it was early in the morning maybe 8ish..always seems coolder in my area then the city maybe cause its all forest idk..but u didn't miss much with the video just him throwing sand on his back lol

ascott said:
I think he was watching your daughter playing in the sand and gave it a try,....lol :p

(Haha that's what it seemed like)

uote='Dizisdalife' pid='760727' dateline='1382493407']
Zeus is a very good looking sulcata. Love the dark coloring. I don't have any sand, but my sulcata will do that same thing with dirt or mud (if he can find any mud here, it's so dry). When I soak him in water he always throws some on his back.

Thank you ...iv seen him do this with his house beeding its funny to watch , didn't think he would do it with sand because the sand was cold ...eh boys will be boys lol