Zayco and Zsa Zsa

Status
Not open for further replies.

miss_kristyn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Here are my two torts... going to get some outside pictures on here soon... this is them on there new tortoise table.​

Attachments

• P1020992.JPG
    P1020992.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Zayco2--01-23-09.JPG
    Zayco2--01-23-09.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Zsa Zsa Zayco3--02-17-09.JPG
    Zsa Zsa Zayco3--02-17-09.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Zsa Zsa Zayco4--02-17-09.JPG
    Zsa Zsa Zayco4--02-17-09.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 65
  • Zayco and Zsa Zsa3--03-16-09.JPG
    Zayco and Zsa Zsa3--03-16-09.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 49

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Krystin: I don't know if you've read other threads on this subject, so I'll go again: Its not a good idea to house two different species of tortoise who come from different continents in the same habitat. There are pathogens that might harm one or the other. Also, as the sulcata grows he's going to be much bigger than the Russian and this could be harmful to the little guy.

Your little Russian is growing pretty badly pyramided. So far the sulcata looks smooth.

Take a good look at your husbandry, re-read all the care sheets for both types of tortoise and make sure you are doing all you can to grow them up healthy.

Yvonne

miss_kristyn

5 Year Member
Texas
Yes I know. I am aware of the problems of housing them both. They like each other and so far they have never fought. I will separate them when he gets a little bigger. They are both in good health. The pyrmiding is not from me it was from the pervious owner. Since she is now in the correct environment getting the correct nutrients her shell is now rounding out on the sides becoming much smoother. But yes I know many have different opionions on housing different species together. But, I am also aware of they are not temperamental of each other and I don't think my are solitary they love hanging out. But, thank you for the concern. But yes when he does get older they will be not be together but as of right now she is bigger than him :p Also they are in eco earth and calcium sand.....

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi, Miss Kris, I am glad you helped rescue the little Russian. I am not going to say anything about them being together we each have our own ideas on that subject and you have made your clear. But I will caution you on the Calcium sand. I would suggest you use a 70 to 30% mixture yours looks like it is mostly sand. Calci sand has been known to cause impactions in torts. I know petstores suggest it but it can be extreamly dangerous to your torts, and difficult to get the humidity up. Please concider mixing more eco earth with the sand or change substrates. JMHO. They are sweet looking torts, and I like their names.

miss_kristyn

5 Year Member
Texas
Yes I am going to get a cypress mulch this weekend. I just found out I could use that.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am glad to hear your making a few changes and are aware/watching for future problems they may have cohabiting in one enclosure. :) Sad to see the Russian, but glad that with you, it's getting better. Cute pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.