Question about getting a russian baby

Location (City and/or State)
Newark, DE
Hello! I have a wonderful Hermann's baby who is just a little over one year old. He's doing well, very personable and friendly. We've had him for almost a year, so he is very comfortable with people, will climb into your hand to eat - he's just awesome. Anyway, I have kept in touch with his breeder and have been thinking of getting another tortoise. He (the breeder) has Russians (18 months old) available. My question is this - I know each tort will have his/her own personality but in general, if I get a tort that's not a "baby", how hard do you think it will be to get him comfortable with me? I've read the care sheets for Russians and don't see that their care is hugely different from my little guy's. Am I missing something? How different would a Russan's set up need to be? I'm obviously not putting them together - the new tort will have his/her own habitat. GIven my great experience with my Hermanns, should I just wait for one to become available? I don't want to make a mistake because this is a lifetime commitment!!. Thanks for any advice.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Just be aware that Russians are very active and expert diggers and climbers. You need to tighten up your security procedures to minimise the escape risk.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Hello! I have a wonderful Hermann's baby who is just a little over one year old. He's doing well, very personable and friendly. We've had him for almost a year, so he is very comfortable with people, will climb into your hand to eat - he's just awesome. Anyway, I have kept in touch with his breeder and have been thinking of getting another tortoise. He (the breeder) has Russians (18 months old) available. My question is this - I know each tort will have his/her own personality but in general, if I get a tort that's not a "baby", how hard do you think it will be to get him comfortable with me? I've read the care sheets for Russians and don't see that their care is hugely different from my little guy's. Am I missing something? How different would a Russan's set up need to be? I'm obviously not putting them together - the new tort will have his/her own habitat. GIven my great experience with my Hermanns, should I just wait for one to become available? I don't want to make a mistake because this is a lifetime commitment!!. Thanks for any advice.
Hi ! Im not an expert at all, Ive had both my russians for 2 months now, one is 3.75" (Max) and the other is 5.5" (Khaleesi) Im not sure what you consider comfortable. Max doesnt flinch when i bring my hand in the tank. They both eat from my hand. Max likes rubs under his chin, Khaleesi likes them on top of her head. Max is more "comfortable" with me and with handling than Khaleesi is. I wouldn't say age matters so much, it just depends on the tortoise. I think so anyway. I dont know anything about hermann's but what i can think is different is probably rudsians bask in 95-100F , enclosure can be 70's on the cool side, 80s on the warm. Around 50% humidity, they eat veggies only. If youre comfortable with Hermann's then wait for another, if you would like to raise another species, go for it. Im sure almost everyone here has made mistakes (including myself), but at least we have each other to give advice and help correct them. :)

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Just be aware that Russians are very active and expert diggers and climbers. You need to tighten up your security procedures to minimise the escape risk.
Oh yes, diggers, that they are. Khaleesi especially. And Max is more of a climber.

Newark, DE
thank you for your responses. I've thought a bit about it and I think I'm going to stick with the Hermanns.

Maybe I'll try a russian when I'm ready for a third :)

Thanks again!