yawning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
troubles looks so cutee when he yawns!

and ive been noticing him yawning more and more..
he sleeps all the time so he can't be tired
is he bored or just being lazy?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes this can be a problem of not being able to breathe through their nose. Are you sure its yawning and not gasping for breath?

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
he seems really relaxed so I don't think it's anything to do with breathing

and its not a continuous things, its just once a day or every other day i catch him doing a little yawn

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have seen what I describe as yawning from my tortoise too. I assumed he was stretching his jaw or something? Realigning maybe?

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Mine does this too. Sometimes it does this when I peek into its enclosure and it sees me.

I'm no expert, but I think it may mean the tort is nervous. My dog also does this when I think he's feeling nervous, like when he's in a location he's not supposed to be in and sees me. Or when he's sitting next to me and I say something he doesn't understand. He'll yawn.

Hell, sometimes I yawn when I'm feeling nervous. It could transcend species.

Just a thought.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
My tortoises yawn at me all the time. Sometimes it can be a tired thing, I've seen them yawn so many times after I wake them up...I'll never forget when I was soaking a clutch of baby red foots. Ever heard how yawning is contagious? Not sure if this applies to tortoises, but picture this: six baby red foots all soaking. I'm sitting there watching them (it was a long time ago, one of my first clutches, so I basically watched them every second) and one tortoises yawns. Then another. Then another. Suddenly all 6 of them were yawning, and then I yawned! It was hilarious; just one of those things you never forget.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
RedfootsRule said:
My tortoises yawn at me all the time. Sometimes it can be a tired thing, I've seen them yawn so many times after I wake them up...I'll never forget when I was soaking a clutch of baby red foots. Ever heard how yawning is contagious? Not sure if this applies to tortoises, but picture this: six baby red foots all soaking. I'm sitting there watching them (it was a long time ago, one of my first clutches, so I basically watched them every second) and one tortoises yawns. Then another. Then another. Suddenly all 6 of them were yawning, and then I yawned! It was hilarious; just one of those things you never forget.

This is too too cute.
I have heard of everyone saying they see their babies yawn. I hve never seen Sammy yawn but I sometimes hear him make this loud inhaling/gasping noise? & it's not the same sound when he used to get scared and hide quickly in his shell but now it's just in the middle of the night sometimes out of no where. Is this something I should be scared of? Or is this just the yawning that I've been missing?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Zabbi0 said:
RedfootsRule said:

This is too too cute.
I have heard of everyone saying they see their babies yawn. I hve never seen Sammy yawn but I sometimes hear him make this loud inhaling/gasping noise? & it's not the same sound when he used to get scared and hide quickly in his shell but now it's just in the middle of the night sometimes out of no where. Is this something I should be scared of? Or is this just the yawning that I've been missing?

Surprising; my babies yawn all the time. But I spend a very large amount of time observing them, I suppose.

I can't say what that would be without a video of some sort...I've never heard any of my babies make noise when they yawn, they just stretch out their necks and open their little mouths wide.

alita

5 Year Member
This post made me yawn just thinking about yawning lol yeah i've seen my little babies do it too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.