X-Ray of Leopard Tortoise-- Input Requested Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Isn't that her left leg? Cory said that it was the right leg that wasn't moving that well.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
he did place a question mark there.. and i do see something as well.. but it could be a shadow...right?

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
it is the tortoise's right leg that is having the problems. and that is the right leg of the x-ray. i will submit that for further review to a few experts. thank you for that!!!

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
If it is broken, I seriously doubt that there is anything a Vet could do to treat it. It would likely heal fine on its own, if you kept the animal confined in as small an enclosure as possible for several weeks. Probably would be counter productive having a Vet poking and pulling at it, when it may actually have already started to heal.

Fokkerdon

5 Year Member
spikethebest said:
Don, do you know Amy personally?

No Cory, all references on the list of vets for herps are provided by fellow turt and tort keepers, some with speciality info provided.
Some of our files are old (I have only been moderating on the list for a few years) and I am still trying to find time to call and do any updates needed, as well as speciality additions.
apologies for delays, have had a major issue with a drowned baby desert tortoise that has occupied my limited time available on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Good news is it came around after tortoise CPR and should be fine after short tx. with proper antibiotic against pneumonia just to be safe.
Don

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I'm a bit confused as to the situation regarding the initial X Ray. Studio City AH took the X Ray, then just handed it to you without any kind of diagnosis?

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Shelly said:
I'm a bit confused as to the situation regarding the initial X Ray. Studio City AH took the X Ray, then just handed it to you without any kind of diagnosis?

You are 100% correct. They said there was some kind of white smudge on the x-ray, but it doesnt look like anything. When I saw the charge of $150 for the x-ray, I wanted a copy of it. They dont have a printer, so they burned it on a CD for me. That Vet did Rx me anti-imflammatory meds. But didnt give me a reason for the leg tucking in, or any possible solutions.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
As of yesterday, this leopard is walking nearly perfect. Eating great. Pooping better than ever. I havent had a follow-up x-ray taken, but the lameness in the back leg is nearly completely gone.

thanks for asking.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
I'm a retired x-ray tech[humans only] repitle anatomy can be very confusing. The bones in the left leg [which were painted with an arrow] do not appear to be broken--at best it is a shadow of some overlying tissue perhaps of the leg. The density[the whitish one in the center] is possibly a calcification or impaction of some kind --but because it is not SOLID white [it appears to be many whitish pieces] I think that is a good thing. It means it will be easier to move along as things get going.Bladder stones are made of consentrated uric acid and some calcium[that is why you can see it on the x-ray, it will have the same density as bone, which easily shows on the film. More hydration, perhaps wetting food along with increased soaking will help. There is a lot of poo in there to but curiosly nothing showing down by the cloaca. The only other way to know for sure, is check all poop and if urates are passed, push them down with a plastic spoon to see how gritty they are. A repeat X-ray two weeks from the first film will tell if the density has gotten smaller or started to move along. Sorry this post was so long.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
please dont apologize. that was a very good and thorough post. thank you so much for that. I really appreciate it. maybe we should get a repeat x-ray. the leopard poops a lot, and appears very healthy, that is why we havent so far. thank you again!

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
Towards the back leg on the right, there is that part that looks like a sponge and is blotchy. It's possibly a break or fracture that healed incorrectly, or inflamation?

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
TortoisesRock! said:
Towards the back leg on the right, there is that part that looks like a sponge and is blotchy. It's possibly a break or fracture that healed incorrectly, or inflamation?

I'm not a reptile x-ray expert but I think what you are looking at is the skin tissue of the foot . The density is the same on the other side. Soft tissue on an x-ray will appear more grayish as opposed to moe black/white with bone and air[either in the lungs or intestines] will appear black.

C

cindybasty07

The Leopard tortoise is a large and attractively marked tortoise found throughout the savannas of Africa. In addition to that X-rays can be taken to confirm diagnosis and your vet can then determine the best treatment. Laying can be induced using a combination of injected calcium and oxytocin.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
cindybasty07 said:
The Leopard tortoise is a large and attractively marked tortoise found throughout the savannas of Africa. In addition to that X-rays can be taken to confirm diagnosis and your vet can then determine the best treatment. Laying can be induced using a combination of injected calcium and oxytocin.

Where did you copy and paste that little gem from?

Status
Not open for further replies.