X-Ray of Leopard Tortoise-- Input Requested Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fokkerdon

5 Year Member
Cory,
For now, just check the temps as we spoke of on phone, if more than 85F in the bottom of that habitat, I would personally remove that heat pad. Don't want to keep cooking the lil one from below, not natural.
I would also get some substrate in there, perhaps some Leopard keepers will chime in here with recommendations? as I just use dirt for desert torts, no heat pads, UVB/Heat from above, never above 88f with burrows for then to self thermo regulate their internal temps.

keep hydrated and hopefully you can get to see Dr. Greek tomorrow.
(I am calling that vet office you went to now to see what is up, if the good tortoise vet is gone, we on vets for herps will evaluate and possibly remove from the list as that does not sound like proper care at all!!)
That small a tort, generally they do not do surgery, is very invasive, requires special anethesia, "breathing" during and after surgery, etc etc..
The stones will not dissolve, sometimes they pass.
When this small a tort has bladder stone calculi, most generally we find is from bouts of dehydration, so keep the tort hydrated and soak daily for 10-15 minutes in warm (@ 80F) water.
http://www.chelonia.org/articles/Mistypardaliscare.htm and read through everything Misty has written there on the Leopards. She does rescue in their native lands.
Don

spikethebest said:
Fokkerdon said:
Hi Cory,
Did you get to vet yet? Since leg shows no injury and looks fine on x-ray, I went ahead and called and talked to vet Mike Christianson, DVM in Riverside and he said from the x-ray it doesn't really look like is in the bowel, more like small bladderstones and they do cause physical restrictions/blockages at times. Still looking for my file on x-ray from three years ago of small bladderstone calculi in desert tortoise, but files a mess after computer infection/meltdown, sorry.
Don

Yes i did go the vet. Please scroll up to read about my experience.

So if they are bladderstones, what exactly should i do? Medicine? Surgery? What?

Thank you,
Cory

Cory,
U went yesterday?
Did you see Dr. Amy Worrell?
Don
update--

took her to another Vet. One of the CTTC Vet list, they are located in West Hills, California.

First off, they dont have internet, so they couldnt look at the digital copy of the x-ray. So they just looked at a color and black white copy of the x-ray I had. So said they couldnt tell what it was. They wanted to take 2 x-rays and hope it would look a lot better.

They also has NO idea why the leg keeps on getting dragged, and tucked in. The doctors office was very cold, and the small private room was even colder. The Vet also handled my tortoise very improperly, and so my tort was very scared. So the Vet was unable to get the leg out for an inspection.

I told her to put her under a heat lamp, and just let her relax. The Vet said she couldnt do that, and spend that much time waiting. So the Vet just wanted to give her drugs to put her asleep and pull the leg out. I didnt like that idea at all. When my tort is at home, and you handle her properly with care and love, she will pop out and extend her legs out fully.

The Vet gave her a pain injection in her body. I dont know why the Vet did that, but she said it would help. Well it didnt appear to do anything.

So I left the Vet, spent another $90 (atop of the first $175 from the first Vet), with no more information or anything.

So I still dont know what to do. Also since my tort has been stressed out, she isnt eating.

I am soaking her, but she doesnt drink.

Thats the update for the weekend.
[/quote]

Bill Ridgeway , if still there, is very good also.
Thanks for the input on Baccaro, will list her and if you can provide any speciliaties/specifics, will list them too.
Don
terracolson said:
MY girlfriend told me to tell you that the following vet is really good

http://www.lbah.com/doctors.htm
Michelle Baccaro, D.V.M.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What??? They have a website but they can't access the internet? You got ripped off! for sure.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
emysemys said:
What??? They have a website but they can't access the internet? You got ripped off! for sure.

my thoughts exactly.

also, i looked at the invoice to see who treated my tortoise, and it says "all the services were performed by a relief doctor"

what does that mean????

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I think that means you call back to the hospital, talk to the manager and comlplain... request a free revisit.

I will be glad to call over there and ask what a relief doc means..

M

Maggie Cummings

I hate hearing a story like this one. I have a very good vet here, she has treated many of my tortoises, but then she had me give a treatment to my Big Bubba that made me kill him. Then after he was dead she couldn't look me in the face, and never even said she was sorry. My best friend dead at only 16. So the point of telling this is even good Vets make bad decisions at times.
I still can't go into that office. But that doesn't stop them from wanting the bill paid...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I'm guessing this vet was subbing for their regular vet? I agree that you should request another visit with the usual vet there, ASAP. Best of luck.

Fokkerdon

5 Year Member
Cory,
Amy not there on weekends, u are right. I would call there first thing in morning, tell her what happened and ask for refund as the treatment was not appropriate for these circumstances.
If you can get tort to Dr. Greek, as per our phone conversation, I would do so.
Amy Worrell is reputed to be good, but if she has people filling in on weekends that don't know what they are doing, my opinion wrong.
ALL: Most of us have some idea on proper handling of our tortoises, even if we are not able to diagnose issues sometimes. If you run into a vet or whatever that starts to handle tort wrong, like forcing or flipping tort upside down, etc. speak up and if necessary run to another vet.
Before any vet touches one of my torts, they get grilled as to what specialized training they have had, which species they have worked on, etc.
IF you have bad experience, share with others as word of mouth helps us all.
Thanks for sharing that about Bubba Maggie, and you are right, even a good vet can make a mistake.
Don in Bakersfield (trying to figure out how to have a signature <G>).

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Fokkerdon said:
Cory,
Amy not there on weekends, u are right. I would call there first thing in morning, tell her what happened and ask for refund as the treatment was not appropriate for these circumstances.
Don in Bakersfield (trying to figure out how to have a signature <G>).

I am pretty good at returning things, and askng for refunds on stuff, but i have ZERO experience with Vets and asking for refunds from a vet. How should I go about doing this? Don, do you know Amy personally?

To make a signature, click on USER CP on the top when you are logged in, then on the left side look for "change signature". Hope that helps.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Cory, walk in and do it in person! its very hard to say no in person, infact she might just check him out on the spot.....

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i put a call in this morning. of course the head doctor AND office manager werent available and they said they would call me back. we will see.

Side note--- nicest thing ever... Dr Tom Greek emailed me out of the blue with some information and thoughtful notes. He is so nice. Wish I went there first and only. Its just a lot farther from my house and with horrible traffic.

vellutip

10 Year Member!
Cory,

As a veterinarian (dog and cat primarily), I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate experiences with the profession recently. It sounds like there was a deficit in both medicine and compassion. I hope the clinic is able to address your concerns appropriately. The challenge of veterinary medicine is being responsible for extensive knowledge of so many different species. Most veterinary schools don't provide training in exotic animal medicine; interested students must seek out their own training. However, any graduate can offer services. I whole-heartedly agree with the advice that finding a vet experienced with your species is of utmost importance. Veterinarians should not provide service if not fully competent with that species. Even then, exotic animal medicine is very frustrating because we don't extensive research regarding disease, medications, etc. and rely on assumptions from other species and the experience of other practitioners.

Sincerely hope you've found a diagnosis for your tort and that things improve soon.

Peter

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
vellutip said:
Cory,

As a veterinarian (dog and cat primarily), I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate experiences with the profession recently. It sounds like their was a deficit in both medicine and compassion. I hope the clinic is able to address your concerns appropriately. The challenge of veterinary medicine is being responsible for extensive knowledge of so many different species. Most veterinary schools don't provide training in exotic animal medicine; interested students must seek out their own training. However, any graduate can offer services. I whole-heartedly agree with the advice that finding a vet experienced with your species is of utmost importance. Veterinarians should not provide service if not fully competent with that species. Even then, exotic animal medicine is very frustrating because we don't extensive research regarding disease, medications, etc. and rely on assumptions from other species and the experience of other practitioners.

Sincerely hope you've found a diagnosis for your tort and that things improve soon.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to read the thread, and respond, especially since you are new to this forum.

Update-- The clinic has refused to answer my emails. I still do NOT have a proper diagonsis.

Thank you everyone for your support, information, theories, informed guesses, and thoughts throughout this whole process.

Thank you! :)

mr.tortoise

5 Year Member
auburn mass
In his left leg it looks broken if you look hard. But dont take my word for it. I hope he or shes ok by the way.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
mr.tortoise said:
In his left leg it looks broken if you look hard. But dont take my word for it. I hope he or shes ok by the way.

can you please download the picture, and use paint, and draw specifically where you are talking about? i would greatly appreciate it.

thank you!

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
spikethebest said:
xlgmt1.jpg

xray.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.