Worried that I have a problem.

Eric Stevenson

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Hello everyone,

I am new to owning a Tortoise. I bought him on 10-20-23. he was very small when I got him and the store owner didn't know his age. he weighed 1.4 oz. I had him about a week and thought everything was normal since I haven't ever owned a Tortoise. He slept a lot and didn't move much. He eat very little. I feed him dandelions, grass and everything I looked up. he eat very rarely. Then I realized that the pet shop charged me for 2 tortoises and I elected to get another tortoise instead of the refund. But when I brought the other home, I found out fast something may be wrong. Also dont know the age off the new one but it weighs 2.2 ounces. He Eats A-lot more and is more active. The shell on the 1st one is soft. The new one is hard. I called the pet shop and they said it was normal. I did research on this problem and bought a uv meter, T5 HO UVB 12 Reptile Light. Mercury Vapor Bulb, Humidifier, Calcium Supplement, and Vitamins. I have been using all of this since about December 1st. I read to give them the soak with carrot baby food. I have and regular soaks also. I really haven't seen much improvements. He almost completely stopped eating and was trying anything. I found he would eat canned carrots, frozen broccoli and yellow squash. Only after I soak him. I know they should not eat that but I figured its better than no food. I have been adding calcium powder and vitamin spray on what every he eats. I recently just bought sand with calcium in it to try. I think my temps and humidity are good from what I have looked up. I have been spending a lot of time trying to get him where he should be and starting to feel helpless. That why I came here. Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone,

I am new to owning a Tortoise. I bought him on 10-20-23. he was very small when I got him and the store owner didn't know his age. he weighed 1.4 oz. I had him about a week and thought everything was normal since I haven't ever owned a Tortoise. He slept a lot and didn't move much. He eat very little. I feed him dandelions, grass and everything I looked up. he eat very rarely. Then I realized that the pet shop charged me for 2 tortoises and I elected to get another tortoise instead of the refund. But when I brought the other home, I found out fast something may be wrong. Also dont know the age off the new one but it weighs 2.2 ounces. He Eats A-lot more and is more active. The shell on the 1st one is soft. The new one is hard. I called the pet shop and they said it was normal. I did research on this problem and bought a uv meter, T5 HO UVB 12 Reptile Light. Mercury Vapor Bulb, Humidifier, Calcium Supplement, and Vitamins. I have been using all of this since about December 1st. I read to give them the soak with carrot baby food. I have and regular soaks also. I really haven't seen much improvements. He almost completely stopped eating and was trying anything. I found he would eat canned carrots, frozen broccoli and yellow squash. Only after I soak him. I know they should not eat that but I figured its better than no food. I have been adding calcium powder and vitamin spray on what every he eats. I recently just bought sand with calcium in it to try. I think my temps and humidity are good from what I have looked up. I have been spending a lot of time trying to get him where he should be and starting to feel helpless. That why I came here. Thanks

Hello and welcome. We will help you, but first you have to realize that most of the care info given for this species is all wrong. You will have to learn the right stuff and make some changes. If you got info from the pet store, YT or FB, it is likely all wrong.

First and foremost, they should never be housed in pairs. Groups of babies can work, but not pairs. Especially when one is nearly twice the size of the other. You need to separate them immediately.

Mercury vapor bulbs should not be used because they have unreliable UVB output and because they cause terrible pyramiding in young growing tortoises. You need an incandescent flood bulb for heat. Your T5HO tube is great for UV.

Start here and look for the heating and lighting breakdown near the bottom along with the sulcata care sheet that will tell you all you need to know.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
How long have you had them now? Not unusual for them to be inactive and not eat for the first couple or few weeks after an environmental change. Can you please post a pic of the enclosure? Few suggestions off the bat: did I read right that you're using a T5 bulb AND a mercury vapor bulb? If so, the MVB is not needed and can actually contribute to pyramiding due to the desicating effect they have on the keratin between the scutes. Also, sand is not a good substrate. It's irriating to them and can cause an impaction if swallowed. Coconut coir or Orchid moss, kept damp, work the best.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Please post some pictures of the tortoises and their enclosures to help us get ideas to help you?

Eric Stevenson

Kentucky
Thanks for the quick reply. I have already ordered a Arcadia 100 watt flood light this morning. The larger Tortoise was given to my son for Christmas. So right now I just have one. The sand is in a small patch (since he isnt eating much I figured he would eat the sand and most of the enclosure is coconut. I have had him since Oct 1st 2023. Im at work right now. This afternoon I will send photos of the enclosure and of him when I get home.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the quick reply. I have already ordered a Arcadia 100 watt flood light this morning. The larger Tortoise was given to my son for Christmas. So right now I just have one. The sand is in a small patch (since he isnt eating much I figured he would eat the sand and most of the enclosure is coconut. I have had him since Oct 1st 2023. Im at work right now. This afternoon I will send photos of the enclosure and of him when I get home.
Remove the sand ASAP. If he were to eat it, it will likely kill him. That is bad info from a pet store. They should never be on sand or have access to sand.

Eric Stevenson

Kentucky
Ok, here are some photos. one the center section on the bottom is very soft and kind of translucent. he also has white over his eyes and on the tip of his nose. We have no vet any where near where I live. Thank you.

Attachments

• 72566123303__DDDDCB26-A883-4EC5-8FC2-D2AB5C0B00C3.JPG
    72566123303__DDDDCB26-A883-4EC5-8FC2-D2AB5C0B00C3.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0431.JPG
    IMG_0431.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0432.JPG
    IMG_0432.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I think you might have been overdoing the calcium - it could be putting off his food. Just a small pinch twice a week is enough, and if you rub it into the food he may not notice it so much. Possibly the vitamin spray is putting him off too.
Angie

Eric Stevenson

Kentucky
I think you might have been overdoing the calcium - it could be putting off his food. Just a small pinch twice a week is enough, and if you rub it into the food he may not notice it so much. Possibly the vitamin spray is putting him off too.
Angie
ok, I will do without all of it for a while. I was just trying anything to get him healthy. He sleeps almost all the time unless I soak him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, here are some photos. one the center section on the bottom is very soft and kind of translucent. he also has white over his eyes and on the tip of his nose. We have no vet any where near where I live. Thank you.
There is no way to maintain the proper heat and humidity with an open topped enclosure like that. It is much too dry and too cool.

Here is likely what is going on:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure to make changes needed ASAP. Not sure what the thing on the sand is, but it's not needed. Also if that is an electric heat rock, do not use that either. Remove the sand ASAP and if it's not an enclosed enclosure you can get a pop up portable greenhouse to put over the enclosure to get temps and humidity correct.

Eric Stevenson

Kentucky
Be sure to make changes needed ASAP. Not sure what the thing on the sand is, but it's not needed. Also if that is an electric heat rock, do not use that either. Remove the sand ASAP and if it's not an enclosed enclosure you can get a pop up portable greenhouse to put over the enclosure to get temps and humidity correct.
it is a camera so I can see if he is eating or moving while Im at work.

Eric Stevenson

Kentucky
Thanks for all of the information, Im going to keep trying my best to help this little guy out. I have already became really attached to it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks for your efforts to improve conditions so your tortoise(s) have the best chance to grow and thrive! Please stay with us and keep us updated.