Worried is this normal

Mosin

Location (City and/or State)
Us
My i think around 5 year old Russian always sleeps like almost all day but wakes up really early when I get up it’s usually 80 degrees in his cage is he ok he sleeps like almost all day

ECB92F64-5159-41D3-9A5B-A0CD7C2DAD62.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
A tort should not sleep all the time.

We need lots more info! Lots of questions...

How well and what is he eating?
What are the temperatures in his enclosure? Basking, cool side, and overnight low?
How long has this been going on?
Did it start suddenly or gradually over time?
Is he peeing and pooping?
You say he's 5 years old...how long has he been with you?

Where did you get him? From a breeder? His shell is nice!

Mosin

Us
A tort should not sleep all the time.

We need lots more info! Lots of questions...

How well and what is he eating?
What are the temperatures in his enclosure? Basking, cool side, and overnight low?
How long has this been going on?
Did it start suddenly or gradually over time?
Is he peeing and pooping?
You say he's 5 years old...how long has he been with you?

Where did you get him? From a breeder? His shell is nice!
I got him from a pet shop I think he’s around 5 it’s usually around 85 in the hot spot and I’d say 78 in the cool spot he rates he pees and poops and urates and I think he’s gradually been sleeping a little more

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Whatever the petshop told you about how to care for him is almost certainly entirely wrong. They tell you wrong info, they sell you wrong, and sometimes downright dangerous, equipment. All they want is your money.

Probably you need to make lots of changes to his enclosure, and do it quickly. He's already looking ill to me, so improving his care needs to happen now.

Please take a bunch of pictures for us. We need them of his enclosure, his lights, his dishes, more of him...from the top and from the bottom. We'll also tell you if he's a he or a she!

Are you soaking him? Do you see him drink or soak himself in his water? What's he been eating?

First, please read this care sheet. It has good reliable info on how he's supposed to be cared for. Compare what you've been doing to the sheet, and try to determine what needs to be done. Then come back here with any questions. We can also help you save some $$$ on any supplies you need to buy.

I hope I'm all wrong on my assumptions! I'm going by reading many threads about new keepers and getting their torts from pet stores. Maybe you are experienced and his setup is right on. I'd like that to be the case. Please don't be offended by my assessment of his conditions.

And don't feel bad...you've been given bad advice from people who should know better. What's important now is figuring out what's wrong, and fixing it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's probably too hot. Read that care sheet and make the necessary adjustments to the way you're caring for him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This tortoise is way over 5 years old.

If its in the typical 40 gallon pet store tank, it needs a larger enclosure ASAP.

Where are you? "Us" is a little vague. Different advice for Miami vs. Minnesota.