New Russian tortoise owner

russiancooper

Hi I don't know if people could help me out abit but I have a Russian tortoise roughly 6 months old, he has been sleeping a lot since I got him which was 4 days ago, he's eaten very little and only wakes when I get him up in the morning and put him in bath he poops an pees as normal, I have gotten a 100watt basking bulb and he just tends to always move away from it and burrows down in the cool area and sleeps all day?
Does this sound normal for a baby?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Well, babies do a lot of hiding because they're prey and try to stay out of sight, however, you should see a little activity. We have a very good care sheet on how to care for baby Russian tortoises pinned at the top of our Russian section here on the Forum. I have a hunch that your care and set-up for this baby is not quite right. Read the care sheet and make some adjustment to your tortoise-keeping and enclosure.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Hi, welcome to the forum. Temperature is important. What are your 4 temps? Basking, warm side, cool side and night. Pictures of your enclosure will help us offer advice. Read the care guides Yvonne mentioned and ask any questions you have.