Worried about hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharky43

5 Year Member
I can't decide if I want my Russians to hibernate or not, what's the best way to hibernate them? And if I decide not to how can I keep them from hibernating ?

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
I'm sure you'll get lots of responses...for what it's worth this is what I advise people when they ask: if you are not familiar with it or haven't read everything you can possible get your hands on, don't. Hibernation/brunation is a serious business. If you fail to set the correct conditions you could lose your tortoises.

There is a strong debate in the community about wether hibernation is necessary or not. I don't believe it is. However, I do hibernate my Greeks and Box turtles. If you don't want them to hibernate you need to set up an indoor enclosure to match (as close as possible) summer conditions.

Hope that helps.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you haven't had him over a year, do not hibernate him. You don't know enough about what his past health was like before you got him.
I personally will not hibernate mine. I don't need the added worry. I feel if I keep him up, I know he's okay. Like already said there is a great debate whether its needed or not. Mine hasn't in the years before I got him and he seems fine so far.:)

sharky43

5 Year Member
The problem is he already seems to be getting ready for it... He is sleeping a ton

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
The problem is he already seems to be getting ready for it... He is sleeping a ton

Please be sure to check your enclosure and go down your checklist; lighting, heating, balanced humidity and so on....if all is good then you should find out what his prior winter care was....then you will need to educate yourself --as you will want to facilitate in the most successful way a healthy sleep ....if you are not ready...then skip it this year and be prepared to work at keeping him up and semi active as much as possible...sometimes no matter our efforts they have a gazillion years of evolution that you are trying to fool and work with...:D

Here is a thread that will share with you how debatable this topic can become...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-38255.html

Status
Not open for further replies.