WORMING of my RT ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortLuver

5 Year Member
Well finally after 3 weeks of purchasing Thelma Louise she started eating like a horse !!!! She is a very HEALTHY girl :tort: but I did not know if there was a worming schedule for torts like every few months or when do you worm them and how often. :rolleyes: Also do most people feed them once a day or twice?? [/color]

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
You can have a vet do a fecal exam to check for parasites and worm them if it is needed.

TortLuver

5 Year Member
Thank you Jack, hate to sound stupid as I have been a vet tech for 33 years but do you ever see worms in poop or are there signs of worms (health wise in the looks of the tort) or do you just once a year worm them. Never had a tort before but want to make sure I keep her healthy.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Sometimes you can't see certain worms/parasites, and the poop has to be analyzed under a microscope.
There are some forums where they mention worming 'yearly', etc., not necessarily based on testing, just because.
Others never test if the tort is healthy.
Both ends of the opinion spectrum.
So, if she is eating well, active, gaining weight over time, and her poops are formed, it might not be necessary to have her get a fecal check.

Feed her a pile of greens about the size of her shell. You can feed her once a day, or 1/2 in the am, and 1/2 in the late afternoon. They often graze in the am, bask or escape the heat midday, and graze again in the late afternoon.
You will learn her preferences over time (for example, if she ignores the PM feast).

TortLuver

5 Year Member
Thank you very much Lynne, she is doing great and your information was excellent, poop seems normal and I have just been feeding her in the am. and she does what you said, eats, hides all day, so I have not tried feeding her in the pm. but the way she eats I think she would eat again later !!! :shy:

Status
Not open for further replies.