Weight Gain and Worming

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
I know I've posted in here a lot lately, I'm just trying to get an idea of good care and husbandry.

I was just wondering how often should a tortoise should be putting on weight? Ive had mine now since 4/08/2012 so about two months and she's only put on 6 grams... is that normal or....?
I will mention that the first few weeks when i started weighing her it wasn't consistant - sometimes it would be before food, sometimes after. But for the last two weeks she's stayed at 530 grams and she eats like a pig!

Also... should I worm her? I havent seen much about worming on here... do you worm yours? and how often?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's almost impossible to say how much they should gain. Each one is different. As long as they are eating, pooping, drinking and acting normal, all should be fine. I don't believe in worming, unless you actually have a fecal done and there is something to worm for. A natural dewormer is pumpkin seeds, skin and the meat of the pumpkin. That you could do. Just blend it all into a mush and feed. If you haven't already, check out the threads in the bottom of my post. Toms great threads on raising smooth leopards and sulcatas.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Did you mean to write 9/08/2012? If you've had him since April and he's only gained six grams, that might be a little concerning. Over the course of almost 7 months, I would expect a bit more than 6 grams of growth in any tortoise.

What is his diet like?

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Ive had her since 4th August 2012, sorry i think we may write our dates differently over here. She has kale, a variety of lettuce (about 6 different types but not iceberg), and dandelion leaves. Im growing some weeds at the moment, this is only a temporary diet. She wont eat any tortoise pellets.

She's a bit constipated these last few days, even with daily warm water soaks, and nothing has changed other than she's eaten a red type of lettuce which she's never had before.

Might try pumpkin too!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If I were you I think I would take a stool sample in to the vet to be checked. I would be a little concerned about the lack of weight gain in over two months with a tort that size. If you haven't had it done before it would be a good check anyway.

another thing you might check is the accuracy of your scales. My vet will let me bring mine in to use their scales.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Well, a bit of good news, she isn't constipated today. Im going to give it another month and see if theres any change because when I started weighing her it wasnt consistant and on different scales. Obviously if she loses any weight i'll take her to the vet.

What do people think about worming? any opinions?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
When you weigh her, is it at the same time of day and consistently before or after a meal or soaking?

If not, over this next month I would recommend weighing her daily at the same time first thing in the morning before eating and before drinking. This should give you a better idea if she is gaining weight or remaining about the same. Their weight can fluctuate quite a bit after eating and drinking and they may not always eat or drink the same amount each time, so I think it's better to weigh them before all that rather than after.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
For the past two weigh ins (so only since the 10th Oct) ive been using digital scales and weighing before meals, drinking, and soaking. Before then i was weighing with different variables. So maybe im worrying too soon, she's only put on about 8 grams at the most though, and thats since 4th august

Status
Not open for further replies.