Winter Slowdown?

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
I understand that daily soaks are not necessary as torts get bigger but my gal Su (14.5" and 16#) comes out in the morning and comes to the tub for her tropically warm bath to start most days. I guess she has me trained. Turning 3 this month, she overwinters in the house where she has several basking spots set up. Her favorite is the one near the rabbit's place with the oil radiator and carpeted big mat. She has become quite the social butterfly with supervised time with the cat, bunny and Yorkie, not to mention a tribe of people.

As with others, she has figured out that snacks are in the kitchen (plus her outside sources gallons of grass,clover, dandelion, hibiscus, honeysuckle leaves, cactus, plantains etc). She parks between the oven and the fridge, watching when anyone is around there.

Oh, for her extra calcium I have been powdering dried eggshell (we take it also) and adding to her food. Occasionally she does get a jar of babyfood as a treat with mazuri.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I'm so excited! Charlie came out today for a snack and bask. I swear I haven't seen him leave his warm box since sometime in November! I was getting worried.

He didn't figure out the door flaps to get back in. He was trying to go into the corner next to his box. I opened up the door flaps and he went back in. I hope he figures them out eventually.

Mary Siarski

5 Year Member
Houston
Our 4 hr old Brutus hasn't figured out the flaps yet either and does the same as Charlie, finds the closest corner. We have to raise a corner of the flap to remind him. I too hope he figures it out at some point.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Our 4 hr old Brutus hasn't figured out the flaps yet either and does the same as Charlie, finds the closest corner. We have to raise a corner of the flap to remind him. I too hope he figures it out at some point.
Charlie is almost 17 and too heavy for me to move if he decides to go into a corner. He comes out with no problem. I'm afraid I'll miss seeing him heading for the corner that I've been opening the flaps when he is out. I'm afraid I'll forget to close them some night.