Winter Rye Seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

chill8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington, Texas
I live in Texas where the grass is completely dead in winter. I have planted tortoise seeds in their enclosure which did pretty good last winter. Has anyone planted Winter Rye ? I would like to expand there tortoise enclosure 10 fold but , considering that the tortoise seed mix is mostly weeds id rather have a grass if I am going to go that large. Do Sulcatas like the Winter Rye ? What are the Pros/Cons ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Winter rye is fine. Do you have bermuda grass (dormant in winter)? That's what I have.

chill8

5 Year Member
Arlington, Texas
Yea I have mostly bermuda I patched a few areas with st augustine. A coworker of mine said he didn't like the winter rye because it stains clothes , shoes . I dunno maybe I will just seed a small test area.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
We use winter rye for our front yard and throw some in the back as well. I had one baby tort who loved it and one who didn't care for it. It is high in protein and has a 2:1 Ca: P ratio.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am getting ready to plant some bermuda sod that has been overseeded with winter rye. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be successful. Just waiting for the sod to arrive at Lowe's. Couple more weeks probably.

lemondog

5 Year Member
indio ca.
I live in the cal. desert where the burmuda goes domant, and I over plant with rye,( last week end), and scoutt loves it. I leave the dryed burmuda about 3 in high so he has green grass and dry grass underneath.

chill8

5 Year Member
Arlington, Texas
lemondog said:
I live in the cal. desert where the burmuda goes domant, and I over plant with rye,( last week end), and scoutt loves it. I leave the dryed burmuda about 3 in high so he has green grass and dry grass underneath.

What about it being really "greasy" , my coworker was telling me he wouldnt let his kids play int he yard with it because they would be really stained green and track it in the house. Expereince this ? ( I have a 2 and 10 year old)

lemondog

5 Year Member
indio ca.
I would fence off a little area if you can, it will stain if wet, alot of people tend to over water and keep it to wet, all the golf courses here reseed with rye (approx. 120 or so ) and the staining doesnt seem to be an issue, of course most golfer are over 5 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.