winking/blinking tort

Rachel Sobran

my russian tortoise is only blinking his right eye and not his left one. what the heck! please help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Get some sterile saline solution and squirt some on the eyes with a dropper. You can buy the saline for contact lens users at the pharmacy.

I would suspect there might be something in the RIGHT eye. I don't think I've ever seen my tortoises actually blink unless it went along with yawning or flinching.

Rachel Sobran

he seldom blinks his left eye, and when he does, never at the same time as his right. he has been like this since i got him on 2/1/15

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
My Russian sometimes closes or blinks one eye but not the other. He doesn't have any ocular issue that I'm aware of.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We don't know if its bad. As Yvonne said, he's probably got something in that eye, and flushing the eye might dislodge it.

Are you using a coil type UV bulb?

Rachel Sobran

you mean like a ceramic heat lamp like this?
search
that goes on top of his bars.
search
(this is not his but a pic of one on the internet, a penn plax tortoise palace) He also has this:
search

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
you mean like a ceramic heat lamp like this?
search
that goes on top of his bars.
search
(this is not his but a pic of one on the internet, a penn plax tortoise palace) He also has this:
search

Pics aren't showing.

I'm talking about a coil type cfl florescent bulb. Not a ceramic heating element.