Will this work for a tort table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reneereichert

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento Area
I found this elevated garden box at Home Depot for 57.00. If I waterproof it do you think it will work for a tortoise table for maybe a hatchling Leopard? Or any other small tort? I would of course add a humid hide, or enclose a portion for a humid side. It is 2x3. I would also make sure the sides are an appropriate height. What does everyone think?

In the warm months it would be outdoors regularly in a screened enclosure.

Thanks!

Attachments

• garden box.jpg
    garden box.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 91

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
I think thats good idea. It should work as long as you can cover and keep up the humidity.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
May be hard to give a basking spot of 95+ without the rest of the enclosure becoming warmer than 80-85. It will work for a short time, little on the small side. Also will not be easy to keep humidity up. :D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
2'x3' would be fine for one, maybe two small tortoises, maybe up to about 4" in size, maybe slightly larger. But it is too small for most subadult and adult tortoises of any species.

If keeping humidity in is a concern you're probably going to put a cover over it. While at Home Depot you might want to check out their tranparent corrugated roof panels. They'd make inexpensive side and roof panels to hold in heat and humidity.

reneereichert

5 Year Member
Sacramento Area
Thanks, my thought is to have the table for babies..I have enclosures for all my torts outdoors. Any that would go in this will go outside eventually as well. Just was thinking about it for a hatchling. I will consider the humidity and temp suggestions, maybe Ill go a size bigger. Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you built a cover for it, I think it would make a nice outdoor sunning enclosure for babies. It would be too open, for my preference, for an indoor enclosure.

reneereichert

5 Year Member
Sacramento Area
Tom said:
If you built a cover for it, I think it would make a nice outdoor sunning enclosure for babies. It would be too open, for my preference, for an indoor enclosure.

Thanks Tom, I read many of your posts and value your opinion, you are very knowledgeable. I think you are right, maybe I will do a couple of these in the yard. They will look great on my patio. What do you recommend for a single hatchling for indoor until warmer months? Maybe just a Rubbermaid?

philthyturtle

5 Year Member
Depends on what kind of wood its made of. Honestly You could probably just make that for half the price

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
yea i think philthyturtle is right , you can most likely make one a little bigger for that price and make it the way you want it...

Status
Not open for further replies.