Will my tortoise be okay?

SiaraEA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
So today I noticed that my 4 month old sulcata, Bonnie had blown a bubble out of her nose. She was in a table, but is now in a tank because I read that they keep in heat and humidity better. She's going to the vet first thing in the morning. The problem is however, the only tank I have available is a 29 gallon tank. I won't be able to get a bigger tank till this weekend because that's when I'll have enough money. Basically what I'm asking is, will Bonnie become depressed being in a 29 gallon tank for a few days?

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
She/he will be fine for a few days, but the goal is always bigger and bigger. Hopefully the vet can get your babe fixed up in no time :)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Actually for a 4 month old Sulcata that's a good starter size. You can maintain the heat and humidity much better in a smaller enclosure and if this one is sick, this works perfect like a hospital tank. Closed chamber is key to a hatchling/very young tort

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So today I noticed that my 4 month old sulcata, Bonnie had blown a bubble out of her nose. She was in a table, but is now in a tank because I read that they keep in heat and humidity better. She's going to the vet first thing in the morning. The problem is however, the only tank I have available is a 29 gallon tank. I won't be able to get a bigger tank till this weekend because that's when I'll have enough money. Basically what I'm asking is, will Bonnie become depressed being in a 29 gallon tank for a few days?

RIs are usually caused by low temps, especially at night. What is your over night low and what heating equipment are you using to maintain that temperature?

Sometimes you can cure them by simply raising temperatures. This will avoid the expense and stress of the vet, as well as potentially harsh or dangerous drugs. Get ambient up to 85-90 day and night. Still have a basking area of 100-110 daily. Soak the tortoise EVERY single day at these temperatures. Maintain this heat until two weeks after symptoms disappear, then return to the 80/100 for ambient and basking.

Don't let your vet inject Baytril. Its caustic and very painful tot he tortoise. Fortaz is much nicer for them and just as effective, if your vet determines medicine is needed.

SiaraEA

5 Year Member
Kansas
When she was in the table, the temp on the cool side was about 72 at night. But I had a blue basking light for night. Every night at around 10:00-10:30, she would go and sleep under the basking light and appeared to have stayed there till morning. So I assumed since she wasn't on the cool side at night that it would be fine. Sorry if this sounds confusing.

SiaraEA

5 Year Member
Kansas
Currently in the tank, the cool side is 82 and the basking light she is sleeping under is 95. I also have a CHE going.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When she was in the table, the temp on the cool side was about 72 at night. But I had a blue basking light for night. Every night at around 10:00-10:30, she would go and sleep under the basking light and appeared to have stayed there till morning. So I assumed since she wasn't on the cool side at night that it would be fine. Sorry if this sounds confusing.

Not confusing at all.

The whole enclosure needs to be 80 or higher at night and it should also be dark. Swap out the blue bulb for a ceramic heating element and run it on a thermostat. You might need two CHEs to spread the heat out more evenly.

SiaraEA

5 Year Member
Kansas
Not confusing at all.

The whole enclosure needs to be 80 or higher at night and it should also be dark. Swap out the blue bulb for a ceramic heating element and run it on a thermostat. You might need two CHEs to spread the heat out more evenly.
I'm really anxious having to wait till morning to take her to the vet. How often do babies survive RIs?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm really anxious having to wait till morning to take her to the vet. How often do babies survive RIs?
Unfortunately, I can't address R.I.'s in that I've been fortunate not to have had that become an issue with any of my tortoises. As Tom has already mentioned, cool temps with humidity or moisture typically are the culprits. Heat and moisture good. Cool and moisture bad.
If not already, you need to be measuring temps at the tortoise level in the ENCLOSURE. You should be using a digital thermometer not a dial one for accuracy. Also, you should be using a digital hydrometer not a dial/analogue reader for your humidity also positioned at tortoise level.
I say enclosure because many find that a WallyWorld sweater tub works great in the house. Cut holes in the top for lights and CHE's and you and your baby are setup very well.
Follow Tom's advise for the antibiotic type, (if needed). Read the posts in the beginning section of the "sulcata" and always ask questions.
Keep us up to date and I hope all your worries are for nothing.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Don't worry. Tortoises do everything slowly, including getting sick. As Tom said, there is a good chance you can cure your tort just by raising the temperatures.

SiaraEA

5 Year Member
Kansas
So far, the temps are where they should be. I will keep you guys updated after the vet appointment. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So far, the temps are where they should be. I will keep you guys updated after the vet appointment. :)

What do you mean temps are where they should be? You mean you've got the whole enclosure warmed up to 85 day and night now?

SiaraEA

5 Year Member
Kansas
UPDATE
We just got back from the vet. She gave me some nasal wash for the bubbly nose. She also gave me a dewormer because she found parasites in her stool. She also told me to keep her warm. She looked completely healthy otherwise.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Sounds like you're on the right track! Keep an eye on those temps and continue the daily warm soaks and your baby should be improving in no time!