Will a male CDT and 3 Russians get along?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgately

5 Year Member
Will an older male CDT get along with three russian torts. One Russian is male, two are females. They have a large yard, 3,000 to 4,000 sq feet, to free roam in.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
They should be kept separate. The CDT will get larger than the Russians, and could bully them. CDTs are also delicate and could get parasites or illnesses from the Russians.

Tortoises from separate continents should never be mixed. If their habitat does not overlap in the wild, it should not overlap in captivity.

If your yard is large, then set up separate areas for the tortoises and you should be fine.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can answer that question, no. Here is why I have 1 CDT and 3 russians I picked up one of my russians just for a second I placed him on the ground because I was getting something out of their pen. My CDT came storming across towards the russian head a bobbing. They never came into contact but my CDT looked pissed. Now you should also not let them come into contact because they are different species and may carry germs that could be unhealthy towards one or the other. You can of course do what you wish, but I personally would not do it.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
LIke above.. even if they DID get along, its not a good idea.
sounds like you have a nice size yard for several pens. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Frank:

I'm surprised that you would even ask that question.:)

The answer is "no!!!!!"

fgately

5 Year Member
Remember Yvonne, I'm still a bit of a newbie when it comes to torts. Ok, great answers all. I will look into the separate pen alternative.

You wanna know about parrots, succulents, orchids, and fifth graders, I'm an expert!

Madortoise

5 Year Member
You are lucky that you have such large yard. Good luck setting up separate territories for them.
I have Orchid questions for you...I kill Orchids all the time... I think I water them too much. I have one now in crested gecko tank next to bromeliad and it sees to like the humidity just w/a daily spray of H2O. Do you think fertilizing it w/Orchid food could hurt the gecko somehow? PM me if you want.

fgately

5 Year Member
This depends on the type of orchid you are trying to grow. Remember there are over 26,000 species of orchids! Some like very moist humid environments, some like arid and hot environments, and some grow in the alpine regions. The most obvious issues you are probably facing (because I assume this is a tropical species) is too much moisture, not enough air circulation, and probably not enough light. Usually fertilizers for orchids are not organic, so it may not be good for the gecko.

Madortoise said:
You are lucky that you have such large yard. Good luck setting up separate territories for them.
I have Orchid questions for you...I kill Orchids all the time... I think I water them too much. I have one now in crested gecko tank next to bromeliad and it sees to like the humidity just w/a daily spray of H2O. Do you think fertilizing it w/Orchid food could hurt the gecko somehow? PM me if you want.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
fgately said:
Remember Yvonne, I'm still a bit of a newbie when it comes to torts. Ok, great answers all. I will look into the separate pen alternative.

You wanna know about parrots, succulents, orchids, and fifth graders, I'm an expert!

Funny! I thought you knew everything about EVERYTHING!:rolleyes:

fgately

5 Year Member
Well Dean, I know a little bit about many things, and quite a bit about just a few things.

Ther is one question I have been wondering about, and still cannot find the answer to. What do women want?

Status
Not open for further replies.