Why is my Sulcata acting irritable?

kjr153

5 Year Member
The only thing I've changed is the humidity. I've been spraying the enclosure every morning but the other day I got my ReptiFogger back up and running. It has been down for a few months. Do you think the constant 80% humidity is making the tortoise "mad"? I know humidity is a have to have but the Tort is acting weird. The warm side of the enclosure is about 95F. When I say the Tort is acting irritable, I mean it is eating a little bit then going in it's hide then a few minutes later it comes back out to eat more. Then it will circle around the enclosure then hide again. This just started when the Reptifogger was back up and running so this is why I think this has something to do with it. Is there such thing has too much humidity? I turn the Reptifogger off at night.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
If you think he is irritable because he is active, then I'd have to disagree.

The behavior you described sounds as though he is more stimulated from the environment, which is a good thing. He should be on the move. Mine always perk up when they are sprayed.
Does this guy get to roam outside? Is his enclosure large enough to accommodate his desire to be on the move? Large enough to be well "decorated"?

There is no such thing as too much humidity. There IS such a thing as temperatures being too cold with high humidity. Keep it above 80F at all times. The cool end and at night. Your warm side temp is fine, maybe a little higher for the basking spot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you're right in assuming that the new fog is making him want to go back into his hide to get away from it. Give it time and see if he doesn't adjust to it. Be sure, now that its foggy, that you keep the heat up. Foggy and cool isn't good.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the past I did try foggers. My tortoises did not react that way. I decided I didn't like them as much as other methods of maintaining humidity, so I stopped using them.