why does my Russian always want to get out of his enclosure

Elnewman622

Location (City and/or State)
OH, Usa
I have found that several of my tortoises try to climb the walls when they're hungry. A meal settles them down. Sometimes they just need more food than usual. You can try that and see if it makes any difference.

Still, increase the habitat size as much as you can.
I'll try that thanks

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm constantly finding my Russian always on the side of his enclosure. I've never really found out why. Does it mean anything or is it just normal and I just worry too much ?:confused:
When my redfoots roam in my garden that is about 5000 sq ft they still manage to find the fence at one end and try to go beyond that fence, sticking there heads through to nosey beyond. I think its natural for torts to always want to go beyond there boundary if they can see beyond. Have you got an outside enclosure you can put her in to get the exercise.
In your indoor enclosure maybe add some arches that she can go under and over. Create hills with substrate, add some barriers that she has to walk around, maybe 2 water dishes, flat stones for different terrain. Plants. Put some objects in there that she can push around, but that won't cause harm. Some may laugh but a small ball. Mine push large plant pots around, don't know why when they could walk around. Have low hides that she can only just get into. If you have a ramp going to the edge of your enclosure on a hinge she will squeeze under and lift the ramp, mine love doing that, when they come out the ramp drops back down. If you put plants close to the edge she will try and squeeze past and destroy your plants, keep a big enough gap so she can walk around them. Can you get another box the same and join them via a tube so she has 2 sides to go in.
Just throwing ideas at you :)

Elnewman622

OH, Usa
When my redfoots roam in my garden that is about 5000 sq ft they still manage to find the fence at one end and try to go beyond that fence, sticking there heads through to nosey beyond. I think its natural for torts to always want to go beyond there boundary if they can see beyond. Have you got an outside enclosure you can put her in to get the exercise.
In your indoor enclosure maybe add some arches that she can go under and over. Create hills with substrate, add some barriers that she has to walk around, maybe 2 water dishes, flat stones for different terrain. Plants. Put some objects in there that she can push around, but that won't cause harm. Some may laugh but a small ball. Mine push large plant pots around, don't know why when they could walk around. Have low hides that she can only just get into. If you have a ramp going to the edge of your enclosure on a hinge she will squeeze under and lift the ramp, mine love doing that, when they come out the ramp drops back down. If you put plants close to the edge she will try and squeeze past and destroy your plants, keep a big enough gap so she can walk around them. Can you get another box the same and join them via a tube so she has 2 sides to go in.
Just throwing ideas at you :)
I've been trying to get ideas for an out door enclosure but haven't got one yet. I usually just let him walk around and me with a close eye. I definitely will be adding more things for him in his enclosure! I might be able to get another box but it would not be the same size I don't think. I might be able to put a smaller one on top so he can climb ! The ideas you gave we were great thanks I will defiantly put them to use !

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
I think one of the problems he has is that there isn't a lot of things to do. that what I think don't know if I'm right. But if I am I have been planning to get more stuff to put in such as plants for him to hide under ect.. but if that does work I will definitely try what you said!
My tortoise always becomes way more active when I change the lay of the land. Hills, rock piles, plants, driftwood. Everyone needs a change of scenery once and a while!