White Powdery Substance on My RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patorikku

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472069503.164984.jpg I found a strange white powdery substance on Phteven's shell this morning. Any ideas what it may be?

Patorikku

I haven't seen any in his enclosure. I'll look again when I get home. I'm planning on soaking him in a bit as well.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
is there only one tortoise?

Patorikku

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472333943.544660.jpg

It's a bit small, I already know. I've explained before that my wife is now a travel nurse and we move around the country every so many weeks. Once we get an RV we will be getting something bigger for him. I have been considering getting a Red Foot. My RT is rather antisocial. He spends a lot of time around us and still hates our very essence, lol.

As a side note, I do need to clean it out as well, lol. He likes to tread through his greens and then eat them hours after the fact.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
The white on the shell doesn't look problematic, but his legs don't look great - is he missing all of the upper scales on his back legs?

Is that enclosure just to move him from A to B or does he actually spend his days in there? It is exceedingly small if that is any sort of long time housing. What do you do for UVB and heat?

Patorikku

We travel a lot and he spends his time in there as we are currently in an apartment. I take him outside for a good while on sunny days for UV and let him climb on rocky surfaces to help him exercise and explore. What would cause his legs to look so bad?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
View attachment 184930

It's a bit small, I already know. I've explained before that my wife is now a travel nurse and we move around the country every so many weeks. Once we get an RV we will be getting something bigger for him. I have been considering getting a Red Foot. My RT is rather antisocial. He spends a lot of time around us and still hates our very essence, lol.

As a side note, I do need to clean it out as well, lol. He likes to tread through his greens and then eat them hours after the fact.

Just to be honest, you don't need another tortoise until you can give that one much better living conditions. I'm not trying to be a jerk but that is cruel to leave that guy in that tub. He's antisocial because he's miserable.

Patorikku

Abram, I wasn't planning on getting a second tortoise. I was considering rehoming my RT first, I'm not sure yet though.

Patorikku

Just to be honest, you don't need another tortoise until you can give that one much better living conditions. I'm not trying to be a jerk but that is cruel to leave that guy in that tub. He's antisocial because he's miserable.
He now has a bigger home (about twice the size) and before we started traveling he was in one twice that size. He's always been antisocial. Even when he had a huge habitat. We must remember torts have their own unique personalities.

Patorikku

Turned out the white stuff was most likely freshly dried poop. He was clean of it this morning. I gave him a soak and he spent a good while outside today.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
He now has a bigger home (about twice the size) and before we started traveling he was in one twice that size. He's always been antisocial. Even when he had a huge habitat. We must remember torts have their own unique personalities.
Fair enough enough but twice that size is still to small.
I realize they all have their own personalities, I've been keeping for a very long time and have in the neighborhood of 30 torts and turtles combined and not one of them would I get rid of because of it being shy. It truly sounds like the RT has been shuffled around a lot and doesn't like the constant changes therefor its antisocial as you call it.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Have to agree with the above. Twice the size isn't quite as cruel as the above enclosure, but it is really far from an appropriate size. You need a proper enclosure for this tortoise - either safely outside, or inside and spacious (4'x8' is the recommended size for Russians) with the proper lighting and heat sources.

If you were thinking about rehoming this tortoise, I recommend not getting a red foot. Red footed tortoises need at least as much space as Russians, potentially more depending on size, and also 24/7 heat and humidity. That would be very difficult to maintain in your style of setup.

Patorikku

I want to thank everyone on here who tried to help me with the posted question. It was indeed poo. As for those that decided to criticize my habitat, I didn't ask for judgements about things I can't control so next time, please stay on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.