White Poop?

H]-[H

My tortoise just excreted this huge white coloured stuff(sink) followed by a normal dark poop(float)..
The white thing looks flat because my tortoise stepped on it when soaking..
Was wondering what this white stuff is? If it matters, I fed the tortoise a tiny chunk of pineapple a day before.. The pineapple was just a treat, it's diet is mostly leafy greens..

photo.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Do a Forum search for "My tortoise just pooped out some white stuff"

Rue

Canada
Funny...I just soaked my baby...and had exactly the same thing...also in a clear plastic tub...

*hint: Urates

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Urates.

It looks kind of gritty, I have an RF so I don't see urates often (actually I never see them at all) but I believe healthy urates look smooth, someone described it as looking like cobwebs in water, and dehydrated urates look gritty. If that's the case just soak more often and always provide water for the tort.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
I agree, it looks gritty. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465355144.672520.jpgmy tortoises urate look like this today. This is actually pretty thick compared to what her urates usually look.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Even my tort extracts "white poop" but as far as I know it is nothing to worry about.

H]-[H

Urates.

It looks kind of gritty, I have an RF so I don't see urates often (actually I never see them at all) but I believe healthy urates look smooth, someone described it as looking like cobwebs in water, and dehydrated urates look gritty. If that's the case just soak more often and always provide water for the tort.

That's weird, I soak my tortoise twice a day in warm water for 30 minutes each soak (noon and night)
It literally gets more bath time than I do.. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There's a water dish in his enclosure too in case he wants to have a drink.. I change the water in the dish once every two days..

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Urates are normal. The consistancy is important. Gritty consistancy is considered an indication of dehydration so lots of soaks are important and of course access to clean drinking water.
Toothpaste like or slimy consistancy seems to be fine.
I notice my tort doesnt drink when she soaks or from her water in her indoor enclosure but gulps down water in her outdoor enclosure. Both water dishes are changed and dishes washed daily so im not sure what the reason is. It may be something to do with the temperature of the water. Soak water is warm, water in indoor enclosure is more than likely slightly warm due to temps in enclosure whereas outdoor water is probably the coolest temp.

As well as drinking they also absorb water through vent in their tail i've read. Do you see yours drink in their bath or in their enclosure?