When to stop feeding cuttlefish bone?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Just leave the cuttlefish inside the enclosure. If they eat it they need the calcium.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Egg shell is fine to use, just clean the egg out really well and grind it up. Tums also can be used. The easiest way is to scrape the cuttle bone onto their food 3 times a week or buy the powder calcium and use a pinch on the food 3 times a week.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Yes, I would wonder if a large tortoise like an Aldabra might choke on the cuttlebone if given whole, so gratering it on his food is what I would do, also crushing the eggshells fine onto his food twice a week, or buying the reptile calcium powder.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, I would wonder if a large tortoise like an Aldabra might choke on the cuttlebone if given whole, so gratering it on his food is what I would do, also crushing the eggshells fine onto his food twice a week, or buying the reptile calcium powder.
Not likely a large one would choke on it, as most likely they would break it into smaller pieces. But they don't need to be going crazy on it as if it's food or a treat. Specially if the diet is good.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Egg shell is fine to use, just clean the egg out really well and grind it up. Tums also can be used. The easiest way is to scrape the cuttle bone onto their food 3 times a week or buy the powder calcium and use a pinch on the food 3 times a week.
Amazing. I'd have never thought of Tums. But they do have calcium.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
@Suranai can we see some photos of your Aldabras and their outdoor setup?