When should a Sulcata Tortoise live outside?

SulcataTort102

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
When is the right age or size for a sulcata tortoise to live outside?
And especially what is needed outside?
Well,of course I know shelter is needed.Where I live,there is equatorial climate,so I guess warmth won't be a problem.
I'm going to move soon to a place with a huge-*** garden so that's why I'm thinking about this.
Oh,and if you're looking at my profile picture and ranting about my tortoise's substrate,that's over a year ago.It's been changed.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
When it gets about six to eight inches . You will need to build a enclosure that has walls he can't see out or dig under . You will also need a tortiose house you can close up at night so nothing can get to him . Mice will find the food and some times will bite on the legs or eat them off . My big guy is about 17 inches this is a picture of how he is housed . In the pictures you can see I used plywood so he can't see out and his house can be closed up .

Attachments

• 1389622004072.jpg
    1389622004072.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 329
  • 1389622016718.jpg
    1389622016718.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 316
  • 1389622074453.jpg
    1389622074453.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 357

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, until he lives outside 24/7 he can go outside every day and be brought in for night. If he is really little, then an hour or two outside at least would be good. Always make sure there is shade available and water.

SulcataTort102

5 Year Member
Malaysia
So..I'll try to summarise it?
-Reserve a huge area for the tortoises to leave on
-Build fences and ensure they can't dig to China
-Have a house thingy to house em' for the night that is closable
-Have its resources lying around inside the area
So..that's it?Although I imagine a situation.Not dumb,but just curious.
If it's raining,the temperatures drop.Will this effect them in anyway?Do I have to place some heating of some sort?
@Wellington,thanks for the advice.I know sunlight and exercise is important for em' :p
Thanks guys!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Here is a simple but effective set up for a large sullie……..and as others have mentioned a well-built boarder “fence line” will be needed. They are very strong willed creatures, with great strength. In this case I wanted to stay natural looking….the result was 4’ cut offs from a coral tree cemented below ground , back filled and then where needed Simpson straps to tie in the tops. Also massive very heavy pieces were used to close off the pond area.

" Happy Building "

J~:shy:

SulcataTort102

5 Year Member
Malaysia
That's so beautiful and awesome! :D
I'll build mine in a few years.
Anyways,I'm still curious.Will Sulcatas get cold in their house if it's raining?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes you will need heat for them in their outdoor housing for the cold days or nights. Also, if it's cold and raining they should be allowed to go into their house. If it's warm and raining, they may stay out into it. They should be able to come and go from their house during the day and locked in at night time so critters won't harm them.

Clementine

5 Year Member
Southern, USA
I don't know where you are, but a 6-8 inch tort would be a great snack for a hawk. I would add that a tort that small should have a top to their enclosure to keep them safe from birds of prey. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't ever leave my guy outside without overhead protection...until he weighs at least 10-15lbs and would be too heavy to fly away with. I had a friend with an 8lb chihuahua grabbed by a raptor in her backyard. Luckily the dog was dropped and survived the attack - but she was seriously injured.

SulcataTort102

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Clementine said:
I don't know where you are, but a 6-8 inch tort would be a great snack for a hawk. I would add that a tort that small should have a top to their enclosure to keep them safe from birds of prey. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't ever leave my guy outside without overhead protection...until he weighs at least 10-15lbs and would be too heavy to fly away with. I had a friend with an 8lb chihuahua grabbed by a raptor in her backyard. Luckily the dog was dropped and survived the attack - but she was seriously injured.
Naw I'm not to worried about that.Luckily,in my area,the biggest bird predator is smaller than my fist.
The only potential harms are centipedes,but they're pretty rare and devasted by roaming birds.:p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I move them outside when they are around 8-10". Prior to that they come inside to sleep every night, but still go outside all day, weather permitting.

A nice dry box with a thermostat controlled heating element of some sort should be all you need. Usually if they are happy with their box, they won't try to dig much or often.

Here is what I do for mine:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66867.html

Vioderps

can you house a one year old sulcata outside WITH a heat lamp and night lamp?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would advise against using heat lamps . If installed to close to the tortoise it will burn the shell . I use small heaters from Walmart on a thermostat . With a small fan to move warm air around .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
can you house a one year old sulcata outside WITH a heat lamp and night lamp?

If you are in a warm climate, and your tortoise reached 8" or more in its first year, and you have a temperature controlled, sealed, insulated, heated night box (not heated with lamps or CHEs…), and you still soak regularly, and there are plants , trees and lots of shade available, then yes, you can have them live outside full time if you want to.

Those are my criteria anyway.

Vioderps

what if the tortoise is at a whopping size of 3 1/4 inches in its first year?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
what if the tortoise is at a whopping size of 3 1/4 inches in its first year?

Then I would say that tortoise is not ready to live outside full time. At 3 1/4", I wouldn't leave it out more than about 3 hours in nice weather.

Hey! I just thought of a good rule of thumb! 1 hour of outside time per inch of tortoise carapace. :)

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Then I would say that tortoise is not ready to live outside full time. At 3 1/4", I wouldn't leave it out more than about 3 hours in nice weather.

Hey! I just thought of a good rule of thumb! 1 hour of outside time per inch of tortoise carapace. :)

Easy to remember and makes sense. That rule of thumb is going to catch on fast !

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
I'm curious, if the climate is warm all day and night, and there are no predators, then why would being inside be any different than being outside? Wouldn't outside be better since the tortoises can get actual sunlight? What benefit would being indoors give?

Since he is in Malaysia, I think protection from the rain is a must, but that can be easily handled with a housing unit.

I brought my guy outside from the first day that I got him as a little tiny thing, but I was in California so the weather wasn't great all day. I would only bring him outside during the times of good weather.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, just some input from my experience with our now two year old Sully. I would say that a lot depends on the size and health of your tort, the climate where you and your sully live. I'm in Maryland with my two year old 18 lb sully and I'm just now in the last month introducing him to 24/7 outdoor living. We now have a nice outside house for our Sully, temps controlled with two different wattage CHE's. At 18 pounds, I'm not worried about any predators, but watch closely to ensure proper overall heat, humidity, coupled with safety. Lots of factors involved in introducing your Sully to real mother nature.

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
Thanks. I figured climate plays a large role. That is why I was asking that in the case that outside climate is the same as inside climate and there are no predators. In Malaysia, the humidity is quite high, so I don't think that would be an issue. I imagine that fencing is an issue, but that goes for indoors as well.

Just wondering what other factors are involved.