When exactly is the juvenile growth spurt?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
We talk hatchlings all the time and to some extent juveniles. But I don’t think I’ve ever heard when a baby starts having those teenager growth spurts?

Obviously it varies in the wild but for a healthy captive bred tortoise, when would we see that jump? Six months? Two years?

I’ve got a Russian but would be interested to her about any genus/species.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
For my experience only with stars, leopards, and sulcatas. I can say that I like to really see them double their hatching weight. That is quite variable sometimes, but "normally" can be in 3-4 months. Once they quadruple their hatch weight they can grow quite consistently and will go from 5% -12% weight gain per month. So a 150 g tortoise will gain 8-18g in a month, but a 3000 g tortoise is gaining 150-400g in a month. Once they reach about 2/3 their "listed max adult sizes" that tends to slow down.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I haven't noticed any pattern with any of mine. They just grow when they grow. In the last 8 years or so, I've been raising lots of groups of hatchlings. Sulcatas, SA leopards, Sudan sulcatas, russians, CDTs, and my stars. I certainly notice growth spurts, but I don't notice specific ages or times frames for the spurts. They just happen when they happen.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
As additional food for thought for this conversation... I really have come to think there are really not so much growth spurts as growth slows/stops. My observations have caused me to believe that they actually grow quite consistently as mentioned above when given optimal conditions. But there are so many things that can trigger a slow or stop in growth. Obviously a hibernation will. A change in their routine/enclosure, and added stress, a buildup of parasite load, an illness that can even never develop to obvious symptoms, a change in lighting duration and intensity, a change in diet and diet preferences, etc, etc, etc...

I have always weighed and measured my growing tortoises very regularly each month. I use a change in growth rate as an indicator to really watch that tortoise and will most always pull out the microscope and check the fecal just to be sure. Sometimes I expect it as when I move some to outside enclosures. I personally feel it is a great barometer of overall health and vigor to see consistent growth.